I Want To Go Single Speed

somberlaine

I'm running a 9 speed set up with a flimsy sram chain and the gears are dogey and i just thought it was time to go hardcore and run single speed. ok, itll take longer to get to trials spots but ill be much more confident in my bike. no worries about smashing the mech or the chain snapping.

The conundrum for me is that im not to sure what i need to get. I have an aluminium body chris king on the back so presumably i need to get some aluminium spacers and i want a 19 tooth cog for the rear which will then also need to be aluminium...or will it? (you tell me!!!!)

where can these be found? also what singlespeed, super sturdy chains do you all recommend?

thanks all for the helpage

Instead of going from full set of gears to nothing why not go half way??

Have a trials gear and a couple of others with a small short caged stiff springed roadie mech ie. 105, tiagra or ultegra.

If you have any common sense at all the you will be able to work out how to get a KMC narrow or even wide running perfectly.

Instead of running 9 gears run 4 with double spacers between them and stick a washer either side of the jockey wheel.

Then either a bar or seat tube mounted shifter depending on what frame you run.

Hope i have helped.

Bucky

Instead of going from full set of gears to nothing why not go half way??

Have a trials gear and a couple of others with a small short caged stiff springed roadie mech ie. 105, tiagra or ultegra.

If you have any common sense at all the you will be able to work out how to get a KMC narrow or even wide running perfectly.

Instead of running 9 gears run 4 with double spacers between them and stick a washer either side of the jockey wheel.

Then either a bar or seat tube mounted shifter depending on what frame you run.

Hope i have helped.

Bucky

Thats a good idea, run two or three gears-one for general riding, another for riding where you need more speed (bunnyhop or pedal gaps etc) and finally one for tramming to and from spots. The choice of sprockets is customisable too, its up to you what sizes you want to run...

Theres some nice ideas there. thanks alot for that. i am liking the idea of running a few gears. so to be precise, if i want to keep four sprockets on the back of a normal nine speed setup then i need to run double spacers either side of each sprocket. making total of 6 spacers? what are the washers on the jockey wheel four? i have a 9 speed ultegra mech on the back - will this fit a wide kmc chain still and will the xt 0 speed shifter i have on the bars still be ok? i.e. were you just mentioning the stick shifter out of neccesity with this setup or is it for the pro trials look... (Y)

thanks again all