Too Old To Improve Balance Skills?

Bruno

Hello,

I'm 29 and I've always cycled and I'm a cycle enthusiast ;) , though I never did trials.

I consider myself not to be very gifted as far as balance goes :( : when I was a young teenager, some of my mates managed to do wheelies in their BMXs, whereas I was never able to keep a steady wheelie during a reasonable distance :( .

I guess natural balance skills is something that you were either born with or you weren't. Do you agree with that?

Secondly, obviously one can practice and improve any kind of physical skills, and balance isn't an exception. But age makes it harder. In my case, I wonder if I'm too old (29) to learn from the beginning some basic trial tricks?

Can balance skills (for trial biking) be improved through other kind of activities? I'm thinking of in-line skating, for instance. I'm not particularly keen on in-line skating, but in case it's a good means to improve balance, I would be willing to give it a go.

Cheers,

Bruno

Hey, you're never too old to learn something new! There is a guy on here called "Lego" and he's about the same age as you and he's just started *I think*

As for the balancing, I would get on your bike and try to ride along a curb with out falling off, that really helped me when I first started! :(

Hope you get on ok with it all! :(

I guess natural balance skills is something that you were either born with or you weren't. Do you agree with that?

Secondly, obviously one can practice and improve any kind of physical skills, and balance isn't an exception. But age makes it harder. In my case, I wonder if I'm too old (29) to learn from the beginning some basic trial tricks?

Can balance skills (for trial biking) be improved through other kind of activities?

I don't really agree with the whole being born with it philosophy. Obviously, some things are, but I think balance can be created, and refined, basically.

Age shouldn't make it too much harder. In the grand scheme of things, you're not super dooper old.

I think it's little things that can add to your balance. Like riding, basically, it's gotta be good. Stuff like walking on the edge of pavements on the curb bit (When no-ones watching :( ) And just seeing how far you can go and stuff.

In the end, it's just practise really :(

I don't think that balance is something you either have or you don't. Balance is something you learn over time. Balancing on a bike is different to balancing on feet, and how to balance is just something you learn with practise. Sticking your foot out at the right time at the right angle etc is a skill you just learn.

Hey, you're never too old to learn something new! There is a guy on here called "Lego" and he's about the same age as you and he's just started *I think* 

As for the balancing, I would get on your bike and try to ride along a curb with out falling off, that really helped me when I first started! :( 

Hope you get on ok with it all!  :(

Thanks! I really appreciate the encouragement ;)

I already started riding along the curb. And in fact, I'm not that bad at it, though I've been doing it in a 28" wheel hybrid bike, which might be more stable when it comes to riding straight on.

I'll keep on practicing this. Next step will be getting a suitable bicycle to do funnier stuff. :-

Cheerio,

Bruno

I don't really agree with the whole being born with it philosophy. Obviously, some things are, but I think balance can be created, and refined, basically.

Age shouldn't make it too much harder. In the grand scheme of things, you're not super dooper old.

I think it's little things that can add to your balance. Like riding, basically, it's gotta be good. Stuff like walking on the edge of pavements on the curb bit (When no-ones watching ;) ) And just seeing how far you can go and stuff.

In the end, it's just practise really :(

Thanks Dave,

I must say that I agree with your claim against the "being born with". I guess what I was trying to say is that for some people it's so much easier and almost spontaneous than for other (for instance, some kids just start doing wheelies naturally, whereas I used to try really hard to do the same, and I just could never do wheelies in a "sustainable" way).

Already started riding on the curb! :( Good tip: "when no one's watching"... now I know why people have been looking at me... must have been looking like a real weirdo :-

Gotta keep practicing...

See you,

Bruno

I know a guy who was about 38 i think who rode trials, had a monty x-lite, and used to ride BMX, he still had the balance and power.

Don't get confused between natural ability and practice, I think practise will always make you better, so you just need to keep going and do certain things which you think helps yourself.

Also, if you are over 6ft science isn't going to like you for trying to stay on a bike. :(

Phil.

I don't think that balance is something you either have or you don't.  Balance is something you learn over time.  Balancing on a bike is different to balancing on feet, and how to balance is just something you learn with practise.  Sticking your foot out at the right time at the right angle etc is a skill you just learn.

Once again, thanks! I've already amended my view about being born with it or not :(

You have a good point there :( . In fact, you just gave me an idea for another balance training exercise: trying to keep the balance while taking one foot out of the pedal. I never thought of doing that.

Cheers,

Bruno

I know a guy who was about 38 i think who rode trials, had a monty x-lite, and used to ride BMX, he still had the balance and power.

Don't get confused between natural ability and practice, I think practise will always make you better, so you just need to keep going and do certain things which you think helps yourself.

Also, if you are over 6ft science isn't going to like you for trying to stay on a bike.  :(

Phil.

Okey-dokey! Good to know about this.

I'm 5ft11", so I guess I'm close to the threshold :(

I wonder whether are there any figures concerning the average height of good trials cyclists...

Bye,

Bruno

Well Marc Caisso is what? About 3ft2 or something? And then Vinco must be about 6'5" ish. They're both pro's and I wouldn't like to choose between them in terms of ability. What Vinco lacks in balance (maybe) he probably makes up for in big moves etc. Don't really think it makes too much difference.

Trackstands help ;)

Indeed. This is a very good, and very easy (in terms of space/time/etc needed), way to improve ones balance. I used to spend hours just trackstanding - in the garage, in the garden, even in the living room if you're short on space. Time yourself, see how long you can keep your feet up. Once you start getting a bit better you can start introducing little hops and shufle yourself around in a circle.

This has the added bonus that you can do it in private, so you don't have to show off your skills in public until you actually have some :)

Along with trackstands, I found wedges help:

Riding to a wall (over 6 foot high kinda wall, nothing low) then placing your front wheel onto the wall's face.

With both brakes on, learn to balance with your front wheel on the wall. It really tests your side to side balance.

And again, you can practise against the wall of your house/shed/whatever, out of sight of the public :(

Good luck!

No.

Anyone can ride trials so long as your in good health, simple as that. Don't bother with things like going to the gym so your stronger, so you'll be a better biker, and doing skating to make your balance better.

Just ride. (Y)

Indeed. This is a very good, and very easy (in terms of space/time/etc needed), way to improve ones balance. I used to spend hours just trackstanding - in the garage, in the garden, even in the living room if you're short on space. Time yourself, see how long you can keep your feet up. Once you start getting a bit better you can start introducing little hops and shufle yourself around in a circle.

This has the added bonus that you can do it in private, so you don't have to show off your skills in public until you actually have some (Y)

Thanks! Trackstanding will be my obsession from now on (until I can move to what will be next). :D

Bye,

Bruno

Riding to a wall (over 6 foot high kinda wall, nothing low) then placing your front wheel onto the wall's face.

With both brakes on, learn to balance with your front wheel on the wall. It really tests your side to side balance.

And again, you can practise against the wall of your house/shed/whatever, out of sight of the public :D

Good luck!

Oh! That sounds really interesting (Y). Thanks for the tip. I'm gonna try it as soon as possible.

Cheers,

Bruno

No.

Anyone can ride trials so long as your in good health, simple as that. Don't bother with things like going to the gym so your stronger, so you'll be a better biker, and doing skating to make your balance better.

Just ride.  :D

OK! I'll save the money I would spend getting a pair of roller-blades and top-up my budget for my next bike with it (Y)

Cheers,

Bruno

Mabey if you start getting gym lessons, they have lots of exercises that will help your balance, i.e walking along thin beams a few feet above the floor, and practising things like handstands would help loads. When I was younger I used to do it and i think that it may have helped. Also why dont you start unicycling that would benifit you alot, I think you need an lots of balence for it.

Mabey if you start getting gym lessons, they have lots of exercises that will help your balance, i.e walking along thin beams a few feet above the floor, and practising things like handstands would help loads.  When I was younger I used to do it and i think that it may have helped.  Also why dont you start unicycling that would benifit you alot, I think you need an lots of balence for it.

In fact, one can walk along thin beams and practise handstands even without going to the gym! Thanks for the advice. Though some of the previous answers that I got recommended not bothering about complementary exercises and simply riding. I'll try to reach a compromise between both.

Your reference to the unicycle is interesting. Is it easier riding a unicycle than doing a wheelie with a 20" wheel bike (such as a BMX or a Mod)? But it would be better to save the money spent in buying a unicycle and buying a beginner's Mod bike...

Bruno

It's probably easier to learn to unicycle than to learn to wheelie if you've never done either before. But I can wheelie but not unicycle. They are two different things. I don't learning handstands will help with anything apart from your handstanding ability (Y)

And again, you can practise against the wall of your house/shed/whatever, out of sight of the public (Y)

Good luck!

Ye wedges, they are very good to do, but will be hard to start off, good practise they are.

Phil.