Any Way To Get My 4 Bolt Back To Normal Size?

nb88

Hey all - i just bought a 2nd hand python frame and one of the 4 bolt mounts has been retapped to m6. I can live with it but id prefer if i could get it back to m5 - is there any way i can do this? with an insert etc. (not welding it)?

Cheers.

Noz.

I thought about that but im not sure if you can get them wide enough to cover a whole different size bolt? Another 4-bolt mount hole is threaded aswell so ill need to get that done, and could ask if its possible (Y) .

Anyone know for definite?

m5 (x 0.8) helicoil requires a 5.2mm hole

m6 thread tap requires a 5mm hole...soo...in theory, it should be helicoil-able back to an m5 helicoil, since the hole for the m5 insert is bigger than the one you already have (5mm).

someone who has helicoiled before might know better than me though....

adam

m5 (x 0.8) helicoil requires a 5.2mm hole

m6 thread tap requires a 5mm hole...soo...in theory, it should be helicoil-able back to an m5 helicoil, since the hole for the m5 insert is bigger than the one you already have (5mm).

someone who has helicoiled before might know better than me though....

adam

Smooth! (Y)

You have made my day. Will go up my lbs tomorrow, theyve helicoiled 2 frames before for me...

Hey all - i just bought a 2nd hand python frame and one of the 4 bolt mounts has been retapped to m6. I can live with it but id prefer if i could get it back to m5 - is there any way i can do this? with an insert etc. (not welding it)?

Cheers.

Noz.

Sounds like my old bike. (Y)

has itgot one green zoo sticker.

Sounds like my old bike. (Y)

has itgot one green zoo sticker.

Had no stickers when i bought it, and ive polished it up... has got 1 tiny dent on the toptube, one of downtube..

but i dont think its yours as pythonrider said he bought it brand new :D

u say that another one needs doing, why not get them all re tapped to the lager size ?

Then ill have to drill out holes in my booster, all of the clamp holes, get new booster spacers etc... not worth the hassle. Luckily the m6 one is one of the bottom holes and i use a 2-bolt booster. By the sounds of what tarty said it does sound very dodgy to get it helicoiled...maybe i should just drill out the clamps and leave it alone, be worth it in the long run.

If anyone else has any magic ideas like other inserts or something, give me a shout please!

Thanks,

Noz.

Great....my lbs have decided to put a helicoil in all of them, m6 size, without telling moi so now theyre all m6 and i have to drill out my echo team booster, get new spacers, drill out mounts, etc. etc. etc.

mother f*ckers!