Half Link

DGrabiec

Kind of interested in this too . Who manufactures them , and exactly how do they work ?

I presume that using one allows you to shorten your chain , thus achieving chain tension without a mech / tensioner . Sorry for the hijack Dandaman :) , but I was gonna ask anyway . Someone explain , please ?

HALFLINK.JPG

You should be able to see how it works from that picture but most of them don't use the weird pin, they just use a normal one.

If you're worried about the reliability then you can get a shadow conspiracies halflink chain thats entirely made from halflinks which is very highly rated amongst BMXers and recently many trials riders.
prod_4586.jpg

Chances are that you probably will still need to use a chain tensioner because they can still only adjust the chains length in 1/2 inches.

My mate managed to snap one of them chains thats made entirely of half links, dont know how  :)

Well, normally, chain links are straight - which means they are in pure tension.

Half links are bent - thats not good. Imagine a chain link as a £10 note. Grab hold of each end a pull it - its pretty stiff. Then fold the note twice near the ends, into a sort of 'N' shape (but less extreme) Then pull it again... You'll notice this also means they stretch more easily. And when it stretches, this weakens the material. (Thats not entirely accurate as the chain is supported sideways a little, but it gives you an idea)

Half links are generally pretty poor, its just a fundamental flaw in their shape.

The half links that come with the KMC chains look pretty shady.

They look really skinny and weak compared to the rest of the chain.

I've never actually used one for long as i decided it was safer to simply remove it.

A chain's as only as strong as it's weakest link and all that jazz...

Yea the shadow conspirisay chains a most probably the best full half link chains!  (Y) They also look really good  :deej: You can get them from HERE!

shadow_chain2.jpg

I've seen these on a couple of bmx's. Anyone had any experiences with them? Do they come in that nice tin too?? :)

KMC Kool Chains don;t come with a half link - they come with a SPLIT link :rolleyes:

Half links are designed to be half the length of a normal link... hence the different shape :D

Hehe, I thought i might be wrong!

Oh wells, not the first time....

using a half link is still gunna make it just as hard to get the right length surely?

ta

Well no, because you can fine-tune the length of the chain much better. Instead of taking two bits out of the chain (a male and a female bit), but can just take out one bit which is both male and female :rolleyes: