Fsa Platinum Dh Bb

Ali C

I was riding to a ride (natch) today and as I was pedaling my bb went bang!

my cranks were wobbling all over the place, hitting my frame and my maggies.

I took my bb out only to see this:

gallery_50_200_27708.jpg

gallery_50_200_34147.jpg

I have never seen that happen before :o

I have only ridden this bb 5 or 6 times, after 5 years of using isis bbs, this is the first one I have had go on me.

errm, theres no real point to this post, I just thought people might like to see it.

Yeh i would have thought a shearing force would have to be applied to do that sorta damage :o

And as it is supported by the axle (like Mark says), there would be no shearing force at all.

Only up and down pressure i would have guessed?

Random...

Faulty batch?

That's odd, only thing I can think of is that your bb was at a slight angle putting stress on it, but I really doubt that.

Ah well, just get a truvativ one, I'm still running an xc one after almost 2 years. It's still going strong. :-

I have the next model up from that one, the fsa platinum pro bb. I have had mine for about a year and its creaking and clicking like a mofo, but i cant be bothered to take it out or replace it because i have no money and it seems to be holding up.

My monty BB (which i think is a FSA in disguise) cracked in the same place as Jansons but came apart so bearings went all over the place :- . I've not got square tapered again - bigger bearings and cheaper to replace BBs :)