Stroy Puzzle Thingy

JT!

I think you've misunderstood!

Right i think i've just got it.

[] < door 1, your 1st choice. Could be a car if you picked this at first (1/3)

[] < door 2, been opened up to reveil a goat.

[] < door 3, if you picked a goat (2/3) this is a car as the host wouldnt open up the car door.

Understand it now! cheers guys

This one makes it clear for me from the last thread

look there is a bigger chance of picking a goat on you first guess! 2/3 to 1/3! so you when the goat is revealed, you should swap because when you had three choice you probably chose a goat because 2 out of the three doors had goats behind them!

but the rule is not always correct, just because you are more likely to get a goat on your first pick, doesnt always mean you will!! a bigger chance doesnt mean a certanty!

joE!

Yer which is what I said, but JT! said I was wrong. So it can't be that.

You ARE f**king wrong. It all relies on the fact that YOU HAVE ALREADY CHOSEN A DOOR. Once you are on that "path", you cannot just jump off it. The reason the thing is so confusing is that CHANCES ARE YOU WILL HAVE PICKED THE WRONG DOOR TO START WITH.

Don't argue until you've spent at least 10 minutes thinking about it (With an open mind!). If you STILL don't get it, draw a tree diagram. Read the other thread though, it's all explained there.

You ARE f**king wrong.  It all relies on the fact that YOU HAVE ALREADY CHOSEN A DOOR.  Once you are on that "path", you cannot just jump off it.  The reason the thing is so confusing is that CHANCES ARE YOU WILL HAVE PICKED THE WRONG DOOR TO START WITH. 

Don't argue until you've spent at least 10 minutes thinking about it (With an open mind!).  If you STILL don't get it, draw a tree diagram.  Read the other thread though, it's all explained there.

I said this.

1/3 Chance to begin with. Low odds.

1/2 After a goat has been revealed. Better odds so change when you have the better odds. If that's wrong well shag me sideways I don't care :)

Yes, that's wrong.

And you didn't leave it 10minutes did you? And did you draw a tree diagram? Seriously, it's meant to be a confusing puzzle, which goes against common sense. If it was the obvious "no, it makes no difference whether he swaps" answer, why would anyone post it?

Read the thread mink linked :)

I said this.

1/2 After a goat has been revealed. Better odds so change when you have the better odds. If that's wrong well shag me sideways I don't care :P

Yeah, that is wrong becuase if the odds are 1/2, why would it be better to chage when the odds are the same. :)

Edited by JT!

Ok if you put a bet on and your odds are 1/3 you get a third of your money back if you win, so £33 gets you £11 back BUT if it's 1/2 odds you get a half back which is £17.50 making them better odds.

I understand that, but you said...

1/2 After a goat has been revealed. Better odds so change when you have the better odds. If that's wrong well shag me sideways I don't care :)

After the first goat has been removed, the odds are not 1/2 (50:50) for the reason said above. But even if they were, why would you change your mind if the odds are equal?

I understand that, but you said...

After the first goat has been removed, the odds are not 1/2 (50:50) for the reason said above. But even if they were, why would you change your mind if the odds are equal?

Because at first the odds were 1/3 for the car and 2/3 for the goats. So that's 66:33 to the goats,

Because at first the odds were 1/3 for the car and 2/3 for the goats. So that's 66:33 to the goats,

I think we both know the right answer, but nither of us can explain it to each other. :)

Lets leave it be...

Right, I'll try and explain it in as plain a fashion as I can.

Initially there are three doors to choose from, two of which are wrong, and one of which is right. Therefore there's a higher probability that you are going to pick a WRONG door (2/3 as opposed to 1/3).

Now, having chosen, the presenter will reveal what's behind one of the other doors. Assuming you picked a wrong door initially, there's two doors left for him to open, one of which is right, the other is wrong. As the presenter KNOWS which door the right one is, he will open the one remaining WRONG door. This leaves the remaining door as the RIGHT one, which is different to the one you picked initially, meaning you should change your initial guess.

As highlighted earlier, changing doesn't mean you will definitely get the right door, but your chances are increased over if you didn't change.