New Rims, For Streety Riding

CurtisRider

hey all, im looking into some new rims for my bike, id preferably like to have black rims, that can take a grind

the front doesnt need to be rim brake compatible and i would prefer it if the sidewalls were black

i've already had the atomlab rims, and they were nice but i dont want them again purely because i wanna try something else

i dont want wide rims, the widest ill go is around the 32mm mark cos i dont really need the width and itll make settin my v brake up a pain in the arse

im quite liking the looks of the sun rims-which models perform the best?

weight isnt much of an issue with me, i can handle it (Y)

cheers, paul

Pair of Mavic EX721 CDs. 28mm wide. 590g, strong as you like.

yeah i have had some of them before, infact i have a ground 1 spare, but id much rather have black cos it suits my colour scheme :"> i know mavics ar eprobably the strongest rims out...

spraying them up wouldnt work would it? the paint would just come off in seconds....

if it will work well then id probably run my ex721 on the back and a d321 upfront...

ditch the stickers...and get some bog standard £4 car spray paint on them

i did it with both silver and black rims, one with sprayed braking surface and one without. they were both pretty hard wearing if you give it lots of coats

i did my back one and kept the CD braking surface, just by spraying from above, and then sanding down any specks lightly from the braking surface to remove them. that was when i had them built up in a wheel (i sprayed the spokes too)

then...put atomlab stickers on them and you're away (Y)

if you re grind it after its been all sprayed, you may flake off the paint from the top of the rim

i ripped the stickers off my old rims and just put them back on. but that was only to keep sponsors happy (Y)" if you ring up extra uk they might be able to send you some, i'm not too sure. if not..just find other white stickers to put on it.

such as ones which say "spin spin spin spinney spin"

if you re grind it after its been all sprayed, you may flake off the paint from the top of the rim

i ripped the stickers off my old rims and just put them back on. but that was only to keep sponsors happy (Y)" if you ring up extra uk they might be able to send you some, i'm not too sure. if not..just find other white stickers to put on it.

such as ones which say "spin spin spin spinney spin"

when i ground my atomlab is was fine? or is that simply cos its powder coated?

ill go on the hunt for stickers :D

when i ground my atomlab is was fine? or is that simply cos its powder coated?

ill go on the hunt for stickers :(

ye but i think the atomlabs are anodised so..if you grind the braking surface on a plain rim then the rest of the coat still stays on everywhere else on the rim. my point was that if you grind the braking surface on your painted rim then it is probable that the black paint you'll have just put on will flake off the top of the rim too...because it won't be stuck to the existing surface even nearly as well as a proper rim coating.

could try is i guess...no harm done

you definately want a 521/ex watever they are now..they are quite simply the best rims

as for stickers? atomlab ones on a mavic rim..a bit pointless/lame? i only did it for sponsor reasons lol. i only said about it cos the white/black effect when they spin looks nice...but it wouldnt have to be an atomlab sticker.

ye but i think the atomlabs are anodised so..if you grind the braking surface on a plain rim then the rest of the coat still stays on everywhere else on the rim. my point was that if you grind the braking surface on your painted rim then it is probable that the black paint you'll have just put on will flake off the top of the rim too...because it won't be stuck to the existing surface even nearly as well as a proper rim coating.

yeah i knew what you meant but im pretty sure that atomlab rims are powder coated, so surely it should of had the same affect? anyway ill give it a go...

as for stickers? atomlab ones on a mavic rim..a bit pointless/lame? i only did it for sponsor reasons lol. i only said about it cos the white/black effect when they spin looks nice...but it wouldnt have to be an atomlab sticker.

lol i didnt mean go on the hunt for actual atomlab ones, just some cool ones in general, cos it did suit the bike rather well having the great big white blobs of writing on the side, i may make some up :(

thanks for you help, much appreciated, ill let you guys know how it all goes for futute reference :)

• 2 weeks later...