Is This Right?

Dan6061

Just making sure I'm doing the right thing when I sidehop.

I know I should tuck/crouch down before I sidehop up, and I did that after this one was filmed, but I can't really go much higher.

Is it just more practice I need?

Cheers :huh:

Link

(Sorry It's Eengoedidee)

Yes.

But, people with their left foot forwards tend to sidehop to the right. I started to learn the way you did on that video, but i can get just as high going to the right, and I tend to be able to stay on the backwheel aswell which is always good.

Got the right idea though.

:huh: :)

You seem to be doing every thing right. Some would say learn to go the other way, and I would agree. But if to your left feels comfortable then stick with it, but if you can, try both ways. The only thing I would say is try and get as controled on the back wheel as possible :huh:

Doing well though :)

The only thing I would say is try and get as controled on the back wheel as possible

Yeah Normally I do, But I tend to rush it when I'm trying hard. I need to relax when I do it.

I can sidehop to the right, but I fid the left easier..but I will practise to the right :huh:

:) cheers for the help (Y)

What you need to do is compress, that means consciously think about sitting your arse down lower before you spring up for the hop, also make sure you're getting some spring from your tyres as you're on a mod 'cos it makes a hell of a lot of difference. I'm in the process of learning to sidehop myself, been trying it for a coupla weeks, getting ever closer to that elusive bar height (Y)

Joe

What you need to do is compress, that means consciously think about sitting your arse down lower before you spring up for the hop, also make sure you're getting some spring from your tyres as you're on a mod 'cos it makes a hell of a lot of difference.  I'm in the process of learning to sidehop myself, been trying it for a coupla weeks, getting ever closer to that elusive bar height  (Y)

Joe

hmph bar height! how do u think i feel my bars are 41" high lol. can just bout do it though so im happy. i know i can go alot higher but only rode the bike 4 times so i ll see what happens

On a slightly random note, i hop to the left and i'm left foot forwards, i.e the 'wrong' way.

Anyways, it's always better to go to the opposite side for clearance reasons and stuff, but also another thing i found is you might have trouble putting your tire by your ass as you land if you do it the 'wrong' way.

When i land, i can't really tuck up that high because my rear leg has to compress a TON.

However when doing it the 'right' way, it's much easier and my rear leg doesn't have to compress as much.

Try it next time you're out, it's kinda hard to convey over the intersurfs.

Anyways, it's always better to go to the opposite side for clearance reasons and stuff, but also another thing i found is you might have trouble putting your tire by your ass as you land if you do it the 'wrong' way.

I dont htink thats true really. If you think about it when you land a side hop and your tucked over the bike, think about your legs. If for example your right foot forward and you side hop to the right, you can lean the bike more to the right because your leg is not in the way of the rear tyre. If you side hop to the left your leg comes over the top and you can lean it about the same.

I think the only reason hopping the oppostie way to your good foot is good for is clearance issues, and not really being able to land better.

I think it would be good to get some pics up displaying the two different ways, then we can have a good natter about the pro's and cons of each (Y)

Sidewhopping the opposite way leves your non kicking foot at the back so its there to fall to if you dont make a sidehop

whereas going the same way its not there to land on and you just fall off alot worse (Y)

I dont really know any tips except to compress before and tuck down into your bike when you land :D

I dont htink thats true really. If you think about it when you land a side hop and your tucked over the bike, think about your legs. If for example your right foot forward and you side hop to the right, you can lean the bike more to the right because your leg is not in the way of the rear tyre. If you side hop to the left your leg comes over the top and you can lean it about the same.

I think the only reason hopping the oppostie way to your good foot is good for is clearance issues, and not really being able to land better.

I think it would be good to get some pics up displaying the two different ways, then we can have a good natter about the pro's and cons of each (Y)

Try it next time you're out and you'll see what i mean.

Ith as nothing to do with whether your leg is in the way of the tyre or not, but the amount you have to bend your leg in order to get it as low as going the 'right' way.

I side hop both ways anyway as I think its important too.

I dont see any real benafits. I actually tried leaning both ways last night whilst just track standing and there was no difference.

Tunni goes his "wrong way" and still gets high. People will say if he learnt his "proper way" then he could go even higher. If I rode a mod I would definatly side hop to my right as the best way. Its only my mech and the fact that going both ways is importenat that I learnt to the left.

Im at work so I cant really get some pics, but if some one could find some pics displaying the landing of a proper and a wrong side hop I think it would be interesting to compare. I could very well be wrong so I think it is a good subject of discussion. (Y)

I side hop both ways anyway as I think its important too.

I dont see any real benafits. I actually tried leaning both ways last night whilst just track standing and there was no difference.

Tunni goes his "wrong way" and still gets high. People will say if he learnt his "proper way" then he could go even higher. If I rode a mod I would definatly side hop to my right as the best way. Its only my mech and the fact that going both ways is importenat that I learnt to the left.

Im at work so I cant really get some pics, but if some one could find some pics displaying the landing of a proper and a wrong side hop I think it would be interesting to compare. I could very well be wrong so I think it is a good subject of discussion. (Y)

Yep, tunni is left foot forward and sidehops to the left and look how high he can get! Its the same for me, i sidehop the same way as my good foot, how is this wrong? It doesnt affect my sidehopping at all. Why do people say its wrong, i find this quite annoying actually!

Yep, tunni is left foot forward and sidehops to the left and look how high he can get! Its the same for me, i sidehop the same way as my good foot, how is this wrong? It doesnt affect my sidehopping at all. Why do people say its wrong, i find this quite annoying actually!

quite right man there are no rights and wrongs only results

I sidehop more accurate to left but can get as high to the right both wheels and to pedal etc

there are great advantages doing both ways especially if you ride comps I would image its a great help

im right footed and sidehop to the left so i dont catch my foot but i agree with you, about a year ago when i used to sidehop to the right i could still go high and i never once caught my foot but then joe b made me go to left lol i dont really mind cause i was just as good only thing is when i try and sidehop to the right now i always catch my pedal its really hard not to

While were on the subject..

Sidehops from backwheel, I seem to have some mental problem with them, I can't seem to get the at all, I can 180 to backwheel about as high as I can sidehop :) :D

How high should the front end be?, I always go to front wheel, but I cant get the front to back movement correct when going from the back (Y)

Any Ideas?

compression of tyre makes a major part of how high you can sidehop..........

check out vids of CLS and Tunni.............they help alot!!!!

also other things to consider, left foot forward should be sidehopping to the right.

right foot forward should sidehop to the left..........

Tunni does it his wrong way yet seems to sidehop massive but to make it easier try it the way i put above its soooooooo much nicer as you can get more angled to the wall etc etc.

Waynio........................