Single Speed Converters

dean

I am thinking of changing to a single speed set-up on my stock. I currently have a king rear hub and was just wondering if I could use one of those single cogs along with the spacers. I have heard that after a while the teeth on the cog can dig into the hub and damage it. Should I be worried about that or is there any other single speed kits available that prevent this from happening?

help please :">

Don't worry. It's much the same as using one single cog on any other hub. To be honest, even if you have a full cassette, your "trials gear" will have dug into the freehub body anyway. Having just one cog will most likely make very little difference.

erm......

From what I've seen every hub has a problem with the teeth digging into the freehub. I'm currently running a rear king and have just got the single cog I use and a load of spacers, works fine.

However, if you really, really, really dont want the cog digging in a little (only a couple of mm) then Chris king make specific cogs with a larger contact area of the cog actually touching the hub, this means that it wont dig in. Problem is, as with most king products, these cogs come at a high price.

either a surley cog or a steel king cog then a heap of old cassette spacers will work great, just make sure you take time to get the chainline nice and straight when your putting everything together

also unless tartybikes have surley cogs in stock it may take a while to get one as i tried ordering one through my work the other week and they're on back order from the supplier

Even though I'm using a steel driveshell I dont want to be risking the full load on just one sproket.

I don't think pinning a few sprockets together will help much - you'll most likely find that the pins are either bent or snapped next time you take your cassette off.

also unless tartybikes have surley cogs in stock it may take a while to get one as i tried ordering one through my work the other week and they're on back order from the supplier

We asked ID to specifically order them in from the US for us :)

Pretty much any sprocket will work fine on your steel driveshell Dean, but the Surly ones are gonna be your best bet. All the performance of a King Kog (well, better actually), at a much better price!

the surly cog looks as though it would be great, as it is very wide and so less likely to dig in. i'd go for one of those.

i was using a normal cassette cog on an alloy driveshell and it dug in. then when i went to change the cog i squashed my driveshell! (big thanks to adam@tartybikes for sorting it out for me! - he tells me it was extremely hard work!) i have now upgraded to a steel driveshell and am still using a normal cassette cog. also, it depends what gear you are running. i am using 16:14, and you will find that 13t and 14t cassette cogs are probably less likely to dig in as these are wider too(they have a sort of built in spacer, where as 15t upwards do not)

that cog looks like it would be a good investment though.

Cheers,

Tom