Disc Brake Question

joshywa

hey all

for my as level project im considering making a rotor for my front 185 avid bb7 and i was mucking around on pro desktop when i realised i need the folowing:

rotor thickness (depth of material)

6 bolt spacing (circumference of bolts)

any help wud be great thanks and if anyon eknows what the material that the avid rotor is made of (my geuss was mild steel) then that would be awsome

sounds like youve got the brake- so start measuring! im sure your school/college will have some decent vernier calipers, mine did. those two measurements will take seconds to measure, and then you wont have to worry about us getting it wrong. No doubt people on here will no, and will post- but always better to check yourself. the rotor bolt pattern is standard, but thickness of rotor varies from brake to brake, but only marginally.

Disk rotors are stainless as far as i know (please correct me if im wrong) as otherwise they would rust very quickly.

Prodesktop will be good, especially if your school/colledge has a milling machine big enough to produce the disk. making by hand would be hard, and you could end up wiht a dangerous rotor- although its likely to be a "prototype" your making for the project yes? not the real thing.

Is there a purpose for this, as in my DT coursework we had to justify making something, it had to fulfill some need. Is it a trials specific part? or designed for better heat dissapation? lighter?

also research into stress failures in materials. This is a safety part of a bike here- and is under a lot of stress, your design needs to take this into account. notice other desings of rotors, notice the lack of sharp corners in cutout sections, this is because sharp corners lead to stress risers and cracks.

I think i gave you more than you bargaind for there! but any more help/advise- just PM me, but im not going to do you project for you :) Just thought i beter get you on the right track.

thanks dude

yeah i do have fufil a purpose but my dt teacher doesnt know there are any trials specific rotors out there :) and thanks for the help, what did you make for your dt course ?

the reason i dont wanna take it into school is i cant get it in on the bus and also i dont want 40 blinged out chavs offering me pills for it!!!

thanks again

Edited by joshywa

yeah i do have fufil a purpose but my dt teacher doesnt know there are any trials specific rotors out there :) and thanks for the help, what did you make for your dt course ?

you will need to do similar priduct comparisons yes? so dont worry about there being other products, as long as yours is different you will be fine. trials specific, you dont need good heat disapation as they wont be dragged for long periods of time- what you need is modulation, bite and wieght saving- concentrate on these. companies have made trials rotors before, search google, search here find out what there like. be proactive, you sound like your not doing a lot! if you want a good grade you need to work at at, trust me, i got an A at a level and it was a lot of work.

since you asked, i made a radio control hovercraft- now that IS a lot of work :angry: i could have done a disk rotor, especially on prodesktop CAD then get it machined is a week! lol.

the reason i dont wanna take it into school is i cant get it in on the bus and also i dont want 40 blinged out chavs offering me pills for it!!!

as someone else said, just take the wheel or the rotor, not hard to do! but you do need to measure for yourself.

Damm should have thought of taking the rotor off :) , we havnt actualy started our project yet i was asking so i could get a few pro desktop designs done (partly to fill up free periods) and also to get a head start. I was also thinking of sending some one like hope an email !

thanks again

also well done on the A you must of worked your ass off to get it !!!

Edited by joshywa