How To Strip A King Rear Hub

random

Okay so in the workshop today and my king after dishing the wheel a bit more didn't sound happy. Not wanting to put a burden on Tarty or Spoons who have hub tools a si couldn't be bothered to go home and get mine i found a trust mallet and 1/4'' screwdrive.

Step 1. Remove Axle and Drive shell

Step 2. If you've low income and no faith within your self thus > Pray like your as sis about to be blown up by a nuke thats strapped to your tiny ass.

Step 3. Slid in fromt non drive to drive side the 1/4'' wide screwdriver and seat the tip of the screwdrive in the driven ring. Thats the big ring thats sat next to the big drive bearing, you rest the screw drive on the lip of it but right at an angle down. Don;t worry it's hard as nails and dosn't bend, crush etc etc

Step 4. Hold the wheel so the drive is at your crutch. Yes if you wish to you may go ahead and fantersise of you must. Holding the wheel thus you have non drive in front of you. Ie using your crutch to hold the bearing for when you take action etc.

Step 5. Deep breath, in..... and out..... now tap the hammer with some beef (beans, effort, guts)

Step 6. Move wheel 90* (deg) and repeat Step 5.

Step 7. Move wheel 45* and repeat Step 5.

Step 8. Move wheel again but by 90* (deg) and again repeat Step 5.

By now you have notied some movement of the Drive side bearing and the ring etc. This is good but that bearing must be all as one bit or your bugged and IT AINT MY FAULT.

Step 9. Providing all of the above is going sweet then go round from Stps 5 to Step 8 til lthat bearing comes out in your crutch.

Step 10. No lay out the gubbing that makes the Chris King Ring Drive System as follows:-

Drive bearing

White nylon ring

Driven ring (prest into hub shell)

Drive ring

Spring

Spring Catch plate

Step 11. Pat you self on the abck, go make a brew, mine milky with about a bag of sugar in there.

You've just done soemthing which i know of no one eles doing or they havent spoke of it. saved you self a lot on a hub tool or waiting for others to help. Also trusted you self but risking an expensive hub.

Now if you've seen Tart's vid then you'll know what to do to clean it all up, if not get me on msn.

To put it back together insert it all as it came out and then

Step 1. Push hard by hand with wheel on the floor the drive bearing in, fully body weight on it and as squar as you can.

Step 2. Take 1 decent rubber mallet

Step 3. Physic your self

Step 4. raise your arm with rubber mallet in hand.

Step 5. Pray

Steap 6. Take hand and lower arm at verlosity stricking the bearing face on.

Step 7. That should of set it in a bit. now do the same again with smaller taps and repate till it's in past the outter cage. it wont go in anymore than it wants.

So yeah if your lucky to own a king and want to have a look, clean and fondle it's gubbing this is one way on the cheap but very riskay to do it but it's all good like.

My hub now is sound as. feels so much better after my tune up in the shop today, spins a lot better both rolling, pedal back, crank flip. Mind i did run it dry. Meh

Oh yeah

IF YOU MAKE IT GO ALL PETE TONG IT'S NOT MY FAULY AND DON;T COME CRYING TO ME WHAT SO EVER AS ALL I'LL DO IS SAY LEAST YOU TRIED IT. IF YOU WANT HELP JUST ASK ME.

ONCE AGAIN IF IT BREAKS, FAILS, CRACKS, GOES WRONG, SCREWDRIVER IN YOUR BALLS, VAGINA (yes we have some female riders in this sport) IT'S NOT MY FAULT (though i shall feel really guilt for a screwdriver on the female part, sorry lads should you have this missunfortunent event. more than likely i belive) IT'S NOT MY FAULT WHAT SO EVER.

Have fun kids

Pete mwahahah

its quite fun and quick to give the king a good old clean. they sound so good after cleaning them thoroughly with a toothbrush. Its easier than u think just remove the wheel use a thin object like a flat head screw driver and a 5mm allen key and use it to open the opposite side of the cassette by turning the axle part anti clockwise. once out just twist and pull the casette part out spray some good old wd-40 in and enjoy cleaning away. make sure its all dry once done i use a hair dryer for performance :P and just push and twist the casette side back in and tighten it all back up once everything has been cleaned and de greased. Then just spin the hub and enjoy the noise it makes, job done :huh: good posting buddy.

Agh thats only cleaning the surface of it dude not getting in to it all where it matters like.

Yeah i did use to do it like that and get it uber clean and dry and the hub sounded very loud but now to me tuning it up as i use to when i had my tool it runs so much better.

Also a good tug on the spring don't go a miss but a tug not strech

it's fine as long as you use a 1/4'' and get it in the right spot. You'll be aplying presure where the king tool would anyways so it's of no differnce what so ever.

I did it laods back in the day but only recenlty started to ride with a king again and done in to mine. A few mates got me to do there yesterday too

when Kev snapped his alu driveshell, he bought steel one an then we looked at swapping bearings from old too new.

we used mallet an screwdriver to get lil ring on the outer out, then put it in a vice and used a seatpost in the middle, hit it with a hammer an bearings came out :huh:

cleaned em all an squashed them back into new driveshell.

jobs a good en.

seatpost, screwdriver and mallet. king tool, pfft lol

The old drive shell is a easy one to as you say like.

I use a set of tube holder in the vise to hold the shell or an old solid cassette body.

Long nose pliers or a screwdriver and mallet to undo the ring.

Found a small wodden dowle is good to eject the old bearing.

Fit in the new and use the dowel again to seat them in and pack down and then lock ring with pliers and then tap it up with screw drive.

It's all about minuplaton of tools and just working it out in hand before you twat it one.

Though the the hop cap tool fits the drive shell ring i just got told