Do I Need My Mech

the_ferret

good evening all

just looking for a simple answer really (and an explanation) if your bored because it would help :ermm:

my problem is run an acs claws on my t-rex meaning i have a fixed hub... does thim mean i still need a rear mech or can i get rid of it (i have an onza t-rex) if there is a reason for me could you let me know im not the sharpest tool in the shed :P i don,t run gears i have a cassette built up from scratch with spacers

the reason for me asking is i keep catching the mech and my hangar snapped :-

thanks if you can help

oggy

Edited by the_ferret

Well, the best thing to do would propably be to get a single-speed chain tensioner. Works just like a locked out mech, so you get the right chain tension. The better ones will manage being landed on and stuff without getting damaged. Without any tensioner you will get problems keeping the chain tight.

Or get a half link chain and you might just get away with out a mech.

But the chain will stretch, and become slack. If you have a pre-stretched chain and the right length chainstays, you might get away with it. I've seen pics on here of Dan Ko's bike, without a tensioner, might find it in the gallery.

yeah you'll still need something there to hold the tension in your chain, the fresh products chain tensioner seems to be the most "out of the way" one out at the moment which will decrease the chance of hanger snappage and they look pretty fly too