Cutting Down The Forks?

daveanscombe

Hey just take a hammer and somthing like the large end of a chisel or somthing like that, knock the star nutt as far down as required.

Then trap your forks in a vice and Use A SAW GUIDE to saw the excess off nice and streight.

Finally file the end of the forks so theres no sharp bits!

Hope this helps

Dave... ;)

lol, I am glad you guys dont work in bike shops (Y)

I do it this way:

put forks with uncut steerer on bike and set up the stem and any spacers till its at the hight I want.

Get a pen and mark the steerer using the top of the stem as a guide.

Take forks off again and if you have a saw guid use that to cut at least 5MM BELOW the mark you made with the pen. A hacksaw is best tool, if you havnt got a saw giud, dont worry, cut it the straightest you can, it wont effect the topcap as it wont be touching the top of the steerer.

Finally, file away any burrs and fit.

The best way I find to fit a starnut without the proper tools is:

screw the bolt that comes with it into the nut. Hit the bolt with a hammer into the steerer as straight as you can and about 10mm from the top of the steerer.

Job done.

lol, I am glad you guys dont work in bike shops (Y)

I do it this way:

put forks with uncut steerer on bike and set up the stem and any spacers till its at the hight I want.

Get a pen and mark the steerer using the top of the stem as a guide.

Take forks off again and if you have a saw guid use that to cut at least 5MM BELOW the mark you made with the pen. A hacksaw is best tool, if you havnt got a saw giud, dont worry, cut it the straightest you can, it wont effect the topcap as it wont be touching the top of the steerer.

Finally, file away any burrs and fit.

The best way I find to fit a starnut without the proper tools is:

screw the bolt that comes with it into the nut. Hit the bolt with a hammer into the steerer as straight as you can and about 10mm from the top of the steerer.

Job done.

I do work in a bike shop, thats how we do it!

Edited by kick-this

when i cut my forks down i use a tool that plumbers use. not sure what its called but u clamp it round your steerer tube and turn it round and round till it cuts through. does a perfect job. much better than a hacksaw etc

Thats ok if you have a thin steer tube, if its thick then the blade gets stuck

Hack saw and saw guide approved by Mbuk (Y)