My Megane Coupe

The enchanted broomstick

Howdy all i have a renault megane coupe, now as we all know the French seem to have some problems when it comes to building cars but hell they have made it awkward for people who actually want to listen to quality beyond the bog standard of audio.

The rear shelf is made of crappy thin metal which i have managed to chop into a nice 6 x 9 rectangular shape for my new Vibe QB69's to go in. Now this metal shelf has different levels across it little cut outs here and everywhere and is generally piss poor. On top of that there is another flimsy carpet type shelf that pops over the top of the metal shelf to cover it all and make it look neat.

My speakers sound pretty awful in there at the moment, im fully aware of how to set them up and the likes but i know they could do with better mounting. Has anybody got any ideas of producing some better mounting for them?

So far my best idea is to cut out some MDF to exactly the shape of the metal shelf fix it down to the metal shelf with vibration protection inbetween then cut out the speakers shape in the MDF so the speakers should be able to sit in there respectively.

I need some way that they are getting the pressure they need i would rather not build boxes underneath them but i could at a last resort.

If anybody has seen how this has been done before or has some helpful ideas i would really like to hear them.

Thanks in advance, stu (Y)

you can buy the MDF shelf already made to fit, but the bad part is that they cost £80 to buy (Y)

But one good thing about them, is, they are fairly heavy, so they dont vibrate about so makes the sound quality batter.

You can make it yourself, just get your olf parcel shelf and draw the sahp of it onto a MDF sheet, then cut it out using a jig saw, then cut the speaker holes out.

Another good thing about making your own parcel shelf, is, you can design it yourself, make it so you put your speakers on the under part of the shelf, so that your speakers are still facing upwards, but screwed onto the bottom of the shelf, then on top of the shelf, cover the whole shelf with some nice looking material, so it looks like you havnt got your 6x9's in, but you really have :D

Thats how we made ours anyways B)

you can buy the MDF shelf already made to fit, but the bad part is that they cost £80 to buy (Y)

But one good thing about them, is, they are fairly heavy, so they dont vibrate about so makes the sound quality batter.

You can make it yourself, just get your olf parcel shelf and draw the sahp of it onto a MDF sheet, then cut it out using a jig saw, then cut the speaker holes out.

Another good thing about making your own parcel shelf, is, you can design it yourself, make it so you put your speakers on the under part of the shelf, so that your speakers are still facing upwards, but screwed onto the bottom of the shelf, then on top of the shelf, cover the whole shelf with some nice looking material, so it looks like you havnt got your 6x9's in, but you really have :D

Thats how we made ours anyways B)

Yeah, there called stealth shelfs. If you go onto caraudiosecurity or caraudiodirect .com, they sell stealth shelfs. As he said, the cost a fair bit mind, but do the job just fine.

hell they have made it awkward for people who actually want to listen to quality beyond the bog standard of audio.

Well for a start dont mount the 6x9's in the parcel shelf becuase they will ratlle and distort like feck...find somwhere else to put them

or just get rid o shitty 6x9's and use something decent get a decent set of front and rear componants amp them up properly and not just of headunit and it will be far better than gash 6x9's will ever be...

just get rid o shitty 6x9's and use something decent get a decent set of front and rear componants amp them up properly and not just of headunit and it will be far better than gash 6x9's will ever be...

Word.

I have amped Pioneer front components and 2x 1200W subs. Never looked back. Sound quality is awesome, really defined. Just waiting to get some better components to put in the front, then put the current ones in the back.

I personally dont see anything wrong with 6x9's for a good value, good sounding system.

My mate has had a polo coupe and now has a 306d-turbo. In both instances he has taken the parcel shelf out the car and not cut it at all, for the reason that when he comes to sell the car, he'd like to keep his stereo.

He used some pretty thick MDF, cut it to the exact size to sit into the parcel shelf area, and then cut the required 6x9 shape. He then put a foam layer underneith and over the top, then covered it in a gay looking pink and black stripey material. Dont use the gay colour, but get something quite thick so it absorbs the sound nicely. also mount the 6x9s quite far apart, just over your right shoulder as drive, and left shoulder as passanger, as that will give you the best sound.

Make sure your boot is quite padded inside, his old polo had no fabric in the boot and it sounded tinny and generally dire, so he also carpeted his boot, but im sure a megane will have an alright boot.

I can agree with the remark on the 6x9's yes some of them do sound pretty crap, but these speakers are a cut above the rest, they produce excellent quality top and mid range while the woofers at the bottom produce a sound like that of a sub!

I know these speakers have the capability of sounding awesome because i have heard them set up in a mates car they are truely amazing, but you definately need and amp to run them they distort headunits quite easily.

I have components for the front and that adds the clarity i need i just need to build the pressure up a bit better in the boot.

cheers for the help so far.

have you thought about making some sorta mould around the back of the magnets? and is there a recommened size of area that they should sit into like you get with subs? cos i know that Vibe are brilliant speakers and you dont wanna just have them in there for show, ud like to appreciate their goodness.

You could try moulding a paper mashé(sp?) shell over some balsa wood as a cheapish resolution.

keep us updated on how u get on :P