New Computer?

Ash-Kennard

I ain't got much money atm, but i'm soon to be in need of my own computer, as im using my parents atm. I've been looking at the dell ones but i'm not sure what all the spec means(as in i dont understand what it all does) recommend any? should i wait until the january sales?

Help appriciated

ok. so what do you suggest that is good for lots of things?

Tell me what you wanna do then I'll answer to the best of my capabilities. Like I'm going to build my own computer, as it works out cheaper for what you get, and if you ask someone in the know like I did you can get stuff that's easily overclockable (or so I'm told) to get alot of extra performance out of the stuff you buy :blink:

Dell are ok but they are pretty expensive. They have to be to pay for all those ads you see in newspapers etc. I imagine the service is pretty good though. Dell have a very good reputation for screens though.

I would just go to your local computer shop and see what they can offer you, it should be significantly cheaper than Dell.

I would just go to your local computer shop and see what they can offer you, it should be significantly cheaper than Dell.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, if you do make sure you post what you can get and for how much on here first. My local computer shop absolutely rouged my grandad. £300 or so for a new mobo, cpu and 256MB of ram, the mobo was absolute gobshite, the CPU was a AMD 1800+ and it was 256MB of PC2100 RAM, I was shocked to say the least. Check ebay some good stuff on there for around 300-500. :blink:

well it'll need a good memory, as i store loads of stuff, good internet, good download rates, quick/or i need to get patient :blink: , simple(i cant use computers unless they are really simple, programs for coursework eg. powerpoint, nero cd burning etc.

I'm not sure if theres anything else i will need, and im not sure if good internet is because of the computer, it good connection isnt it?

well it'll need a good memory, as i store loads of stuff, good internet, good download rates, quick/or i need to get patient :blink: , simple(i cant use computers unless they are really simple, programs for coursework eg. powerpoint, nero cd burning etc.

I'm not sure if theres anything else i will need, and im not sure if good internet is because of the computer, it good connection isnt it?

Internet download speed is all to do with your ISP, you can't change it with hardware, you can but I don't think there'd be any point in setting up your own communications company. And you need a good Hard Disk Drive, memory is your RAM, I would of thought if you sort of skimped a bit on some other parts, you could get maybe a 250GB - 300GB HDD and not notice a huge increase in your price, especially if you don't mind too much about speed.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, if you do make sure you post what you can get and for how much on here first. My local computer shop absolutely rouged my grandad. £300 or so for a new mobo, cpu and 256MB of ram, the mobo was absolute gobshite, the CPU was a AMD 1800+ and it was 256MB of PC2100 RAM, I was shocked to say the least.

Yeah that is pretty shit, but they probably saw him coming a mile off. I know my local shop in Lancaster does some pretty good deals on full computers. Not eBuyer cheap, but pretty damn cheap. Some shops are not so great though, what can you do? Have a look what they have and get back to us with a spec, and someone will be able to tell you if you're getting a good deal.

Yeah that is pretty shit, but they probably saw him coming a mile off. I know my local shop in Lancaster does some pretty good deals on full computers. Not eBuyer cheap, but pretty damn cheap. Some shops are not so great though, what can you do? Have a look what they have and get back to us with a spec, and someone will be able to tell you if you're getting a good deal.

That's my point, if he comes in and seems like he doesn't know much about computers, they'll overcharge him. Like my grandad was charged £25 for installation of Windows :blink: