Frame

flower

right'o here we go.

im thinking of make a frame. I have all materials and tools avaliable to use at very minimal costs so thats not a problem. My problem is when welding a frame the metal heats up and expands making the geomatry wrong instantly. I was thinking of building a wooden frame for the tubes to fit in. Would the wood be rigid enough for the task or would it not be any good. If not is there any other material i could use, cheapest as possible. Oh it will proberly be made out of steel. mabye ally but more likely not.

any advise from frame builders ect would be greatly appriciated and also any hints and tips would be good as well.

Thanking you :lol:

Hmmm, the tubes heat up and the geo changes, but then they cool down and go almost exactly back to where they were before, so I dont really know what you're worried about. Bearing in mind that you can run a ring of weld around a 1" tube in one go with an arc welder, and still be able to pick it up about 4 inches back from the weld when you're done, it doesnt get *that* hot anyway.

Large bits of box section make good jigs, wood works in large enough sections but will always be changing its dimensions depending on air humidity.

Have a look on curtis' website, there's a few good shots of their jig, there are also some decent pics on goatbike's site.

Hmmm, the tubes heat up and the geo changes, but then they cool down and go almost exactly back to where they were before, so I dont really know what you're worried about. Bearing in mind that you can run a ring of weld around a 1" tube in one go with an arc welder, and still be able to pick it up about 4 inches back from the weld when you're done, it doesnt get *that* hot anyway.

Large bits of box section make good jigs, wood works in large enough sections but will always be changing its dimensions depending on air humidity.

Have a look on curtis' website, there's a few good shots of their jig, there are also some decent pics on goatbike's site.

Oh right i was led to belive that it changed and stayed in that new angle. and whats goatbikes website if you dont mind. And i will take a look at curtis's site in the meanwhile. thanks :lol:

Goatbike webbie seems to have disappeared :lol:

Oh bum hole. Cheers any way. Oh i looked on the curtis website.......not what i was expecting i may have to rethink the whole design of the jig. Oh well it will be worth it as it will be a killer frame. hopefully.

Cheers

Oh bum hole. Cheers any way. Oh i looked on the curtis website.......not what i was expecting i may have to rethink the whole design of the jig. Oh well it will be worth it as it will be a killer frame. hopefully.

Cheers

if it comes out good will you make me a tricycle?

What the f**k man, just weld it up, it's not going to change the geo that much. It shouldnt change it at all really. Does it really matter if it's 1mm out? No.

If you tack weld it all up first properly its not going to change when you start welding anyhow..

Chill out winston.

"it's not going to change the geo that much" I dont want the geo to change at all if you could simply weld it together why do curtis, onza, koxx, kot ect all use jigs?

Its sorted anyway.

Chill out winston.

"it's not going to change the geo that much" I dont want the geo to change at all if you could simply weld it together why do curtis, onza, koxx, kot ect all use jigs?

Its sorted anyway.

they use jigs to hold the tubes in place, instead of holding them with their hands (Y) '

anyways, good luck with frame. i want to make one too, but cant be arsed going to b and q to get holesaws etc..

and i need to be able to weld tubes too (Y)

might practice today a bit as i probs wont be riding much :)

ta

Will

they use jigs to hold the tubes in place, instead of holding them with their hands (Y) '

anyways, good luck with frame. i want to make one too, but cant be arsed going to b and q to get holesaws etc..

and i need to be able to weld tubes too (Y)

might practice today a bit as i probs wont be riding much :P

ta

Will

thankyou will arnold i now know to use a jig when building a frame. Similar to what my post says. :)

Cheers anyway