Upgrades

Alex O'Neill

I would up grade your forks to Echo easy, thats what i did on my T-pro the forks you have got weigh a Ton, you have got a few choices really, Theres not allot of point up grading cranks on a T-bird really, You could get new bars and stem, A new Onza wheel build from Tarty for £115 or just get some small parts like grips, pads etc.

When i had a t-bird i upgraded the freewheel to a acs 16t freewheel :) This helps backwheeling and gapping since the harder gearing B)

I also got a pair of creepy crawlers. They are so better than the sticky fingers that come with the t-bird :rolleyes:

Cheers

Mitch <_<

Theres not allot of point up grading cranks on a T-bird really

Why not, they suck.

Those cranks wont fit on your bike because you have a rear freewheel. They're front freewheel cranks

It says on tartybikes that you can put a normal front chain ring on it.

some brake pads and a bar/stem.

Brake pads naa ive got tar <_< And why a new bar/stem?

theres not much point in switching cranks til you break those ones if you ask me. you won't notice any difference unless they're a different length.

i'd go for some brake boosters - they make your brakes work better (and probably extend the life of your frame too). i like the cheap 4 bolt echo ones, theyre about 20quids from tarty.

forks is a good suggestion, you'll save a pound or 2 in weight on the front which will definitely help.

oo - get some skull shaped valve caps, chrome ones if possible

EDIT :: Alex. ..

for FFW use a standard freewheel on the cranks, you need to clean it out properly and threadlock the lockring on to stop it coming undone.

most mod riders run 18-12 gearing. I used to run 22-17 but switching to 18-12 made everything much nicer, its a fair bit faster but only takes 5 minutes to get used to.

Edited by poopipe

So ive decided to get either

Stem (Echo £37) and a Booster (Echo £21),

Stem and Creppy Crawler rear tyre (£22),

Or

Booster and tyre?

NB Whatever I dont buy now I will be able to get in a Month on less.

I think break booster and forks would be best to be honest.

There's no point Buying new tires until they wear out, its just wasting £40. As someone said a break booster would improve your breaking and expand the life of your frame. If your getting a new stem you might as well get new bars as well ( improve your balance if you get longer bars, yours are only 27" i think), You could get the T-master stem and zoo! bars or something.

I dont understand why new forks would help. :)

Different forks would be alot lighter. As the T-Bird ones are Steel, Strong, But heavy.

Most Mod forks now are very strong and light. Because they're aluminium.

Try some Echo forks of similar.

New bar+stem will make the bike feel alot nicer too. Try Echo Team stem with Zoo! Riser bars.

Alot lighter then the Steel T-Bird bar+stem, and the bars are wider and flexy, so they give you more spring and more control.

As said before, get some Creepy Crawlers, Mainly a rear one, as they have alot more grip then the standard Onza tyres, and weigh a bit less.

New pads will be alot better too. Tar will never beat Plaz CRM's. Just get some for the rear, and you'll love it.

Your wheels will be fine for now. Good strong rims you have there. Probably the best around.

Get a rear 12t sprocket, and the Echo Cranks with maybe an ACS or (if you have enough) an ENO.

If you get the ACS, make sure you tighten the lockring. Perhaps weld it.

When the time comes, Upgrade the frame. T-pro's are lovely to go to from having a T-Bird.

I did it, and loved it.

Or maybe a Zona Zip (what I'm getting now)

From reviews i've read, they ride like the T-pro, but better, and easier.

Longer, but don't 'feel' longer because of the high BB.

Eeerm...That's about it really.

Just do all that when you can, and you should end up with a pretty decent ride.

B) <_<

If your getting a new stem you might as well get new bars as well

ierm, i think im right on sayingthis...

the standard t-pro stem has a very silly 28.6mm clamp whereas the echo has a very sensible (31.8 mm ?) clamp. i imagine you've got the same stem/bar combo on the t-bird so you'll have to get new bars if you get a new stem.

oh, and if you're set on a new stem, the onza t-master is half the price of the echo and the same shape - apparently.

Thanks Dan.

I've taken my forks off and striped then and realised how much the weigh 1.3 kilograms and the Echo ones ive been looking at are on 762 Grams or something close.

As for frames (next year) i'd proberly get a Echo Team or mabey a Zip. I'd have to ride them.

What Echo forks are you looking at?

I had a problem when i got my Echo Easy forks because when I set up my bike and put on my breaks they were pushed fully against my rim, ( Onza Hog ) My TPA was fully unwound, the breaks set up as far back as they would go but the pads were pressed up so hard against the rim it was hard to force let alone roll, so i cut some rubber off my pads, put them back on and it worked fine. We came to the conclusion that my rim was really wide and the forks were designed for the echo rim. About a week later my magura broke so i am now running a disk. The magura breaking had nothing to do with the new forks the threads went in the lever by the way.

Just thought I would let you know :angry: .

What Echo forks are you looking at?

I had a problem when i got my Echo Easy forks because when I set up my bike and put on my breaks they were pushed fully against my rim, ( Onza Hog ) My TPA was fully unwound, the breaks set up as far back as they would go but the pads were pressed up so hard against the rim it was hard to force let alone roll, so i cut some rubber off my pads, put them back on and it worked fine. We came to the conclusion that my rim was really wide and the forks were designed for the echo rim. About a week later my magura broke so i am now running a disk. The magura breaking had nothing to do with the new forks the threads went in the lever by the way.

Just thought I would let you know :P .

to be honest hog rims are stupidly wide better with a ronnie