Silent Psu?

cookie456_the2nd

Im looking for a quite quiet PSU, (got water cooling stuff so its just the psu i can hear!) fanned prefferably with speed adjustment or something along the lines of that.

It doesn't need to be totally silent - well it would be nice. I do alot of work on my PC and dont like the noise of fans wining and spinning etc, you see?

Also my comp is on occassionally though the night for various reasons and i dnt like it when im trying to get too sleep and can hear fans!

Price doesn't really matter... well as long as its not to OTT.

you missed off a pretty fundamental thing, the spec of your pc!!

also a rough budget would be good and if you want a modular one?

i have an enermax liberty 400W modular supply sitting in my room waiting for the rest of the bits for my upgrade to turn up, ill let you know what the noise on thats like when its in :huh:

you missed off a pretty fundamental thing, the spec of your pc!!

also a rough budget would be good and if you want a modular one?

Doh! hits self on head - Spec -

XP 3200+

Standard ATA drive - 7200rpm

Crucial 512 RAM

Some non power hungry graphics card

And A DVD/CD-RW

Not too power hungry... but may be upgraded in future with SATA and some more RAM, possibly a daul core athlon 64 :huh: - would be power hungry then!

Price doesn't really matter, i know that if you want a good PSU you need to pay alot of money!

In that case then make sure you get an ATX2.2 one as that will allow for the future 24pin power and have SATA and PCI-E power cables. But make sure its backwards compatable with your current 20pin setup.

The PSU andys just bought has all this and is pretty cheap too :huh:

i should be getting my cpu either tomorrow or weds, so ill give you the lowdown on the psu as soon as its in.

The reason i went for the enermax is that they have an excellent reputation for quiet, quality psu's. My housemate has one of the noisetaker series which is nion silent the entire time, and uses a pair of 80mm fans, so this one with a single 120 should be even quieter. It also has all the necessary connectors for any setup im likely to need in the not so near future, so all good.

Your setup doesnt sound that power hungry as it is, and even with the addition of a X2 cpu, it will still be fairly on the low side, its only when you get into multiple high powered graphics card setups that you need more than 400W sustained load and even then this psu is SLi rated. The thing is that you may be able to get a 600W psu for the same money from a poorer manufacturer, but it wont be able to supply that wattage day in day out, it will be the peak output, not the sustained load, which means you have no idea what it is capable of for sustained running, more than likely about 300-350 watts tops, and even then the power wont be very stable.

My advice would be to stick with a psu from one of the top manufacturers such as Hiper, Enermax, PC power and cooling, Antec, Tagan, seasonic and OCZ. Read as many reviews as possible (but take most with a pinch of salt as they may well be biased) and things said on forums as these are likely to be more truthful, and ill let you know how the enermax performs when i get the badboy installed.

Well I've had my new Enermax installed for a couple of days now and have to say the things pretty much silent. The fan hasn't budged off the minimum speed of 900rpm yet. Thats with my graphics card using the power of a 6800GT and my CPU running faster than an FX-55 and using a little more power due to a higher voltage.

All in all I've been very impressed by it and would recommend it to anyone (Y)

I've just done a test and my psu is as close to silent as your gonna get with a fan turning at all, so if you have any other fans in your system they will be louder than it!!

However for the must have in completely silent psu's these are the ones you want. My housemate has just ordered the beastiest version of it. The fan wont even turn on until it hits something like 60-75% load. If you get the 500W version and have a normal system it will never come on!!

Try looking in one of the Computer-Shopper Mags or the Upgrade Mag... The Computer-shopper website should have somthing on there.. If no luck from there... Try the forum... I have a Mag thats dedicated to scilencing your pc... Will post some Tips or links to a few later (Y)