Cheques

Walleee

I got a cheque made out on monday at my bank's (Nationwide) counter. It is my understanding that when I make a 'counter cheque' that this money is taken from my account straight away, however it does still have to clear before it will go into the recipient's account.

Has anyone any idea how long it usually takes for a cheque to be cashed from Nationwide to LLoyds TSB? I sent it monday, recieved on tuesday, so it was either put in on tuesday or wednesday id assume.....

Im hoping to get this before christmas but seeing as it hadn't cleared by yesterday (about 3 working days) im starting to get a little concerned.

Any info to put my mind to rest is much appreciated........

If you paid it into your account, phone your bank and ask?

If someone else is paying the money into their account, do you know if they actually have taken it in to the bank yet?

Yeh its been taken to the bank for sure, it's my cheque going into someone else's account, and was a counter cheque, so the money left my account straight away, but I checked at the bank and it does still have to clear/cash.

Its just a pain that if I had of sent a hand written cheque, I could have known that once the money left my account it had gone straight into the recipient's.....

I doubt the bank could tell me if its gone into the other persons account either due to data protection....

We (HBOS) give 10 working days for cheques to clear.

:ermm: Thats mad, I went to the bank today to cancel the cheque, because im getting worried that ive sent all my birthday money for nothing. The lady at the bank told me that she could not cancel the cheque, and could only reissue it.

The money went out of my account as soon as the cheque was made,so it is my understanding that because they wont cancel it, I cannot get my money back at all. (even if I do have it re-issued I will have a cheque made out to the same person.

He told me last night on MSN he would check his bank this morning and txt me to let me know if the money had gone into his account or not, I havn't heard from him since and ive tried phoning him 4 times but keep getting to his answer phone. Hes up, because he was on here this morning.

Anyone experiance anything like this before have any ideas on what i should do?

Edited by jake1516

Still £190 down, and no bike.

I do believe I've gotten well and truely f**ked up the ass here guys.

Apparently there was a problem with the cheque. My seller said he got it back from his bank on friday and sent it on friday morning, 1st class, I still havnt got it today and the post has been and gone.

This is really starting to f**k me off now.

Still £190 down, and no bike.

I do believe I've gotten well and truely f**ked up the ass here guys.

Apparently there was a problem with the cheque. My seller said he got it back from his bank on friday and sent it on friday morning, 1st class, I still havnt got it today and the post has been and gone.

This is really starting to f**k me off now.

He might not be....for starters its Xmas post your dealing with, expect a delay.

He might not be....for starters its Xmas post your dealing with, expect a delay.

hmm yeh, its taken until today for stuff coming from the next town which was posted on friday to get here, so maybe, just maybe itll be here tomorrow. However the way things have been going lately, I wouldnt be a bit suprised if this was just abother thing to pile on to the heap of shit which is life at the minute...

Also, is it a good idea to leave referances for someone if the deal hasnt completed, but you feel that communication during the deal could have been made better.

Huge fight on here before About 8 pages? and this was just because the post was delayed due to a strike at a post offcie :- so leave it a bit if not just ask the kid!

Looking back at what was said im so so sorry i said that stuff i did (L) you guys!!!!

Edited by pissin_on_the_fence

Hmm, well two weeks on, and I have the cheque back.

Obviously looking back, I was getting stressed about nothing but I definately wont ever be getting counter-cheques from the bank EVER again.

The way the system works is balls, they take the money out of my account as soon as I get the cheque handed to me, but then it apparently has to wait 7-10 days before it clears, thats provided there are no problems with the cheque (which apparently there are) Where exactley has my money been for the past 2 weeks????

Hasnt been in my account for sure, or the sellers.Perhaps the bank were busy making money with my money before they wanted to give me it back. :angry:

Anyway, sorted now, got my money back, still have to get a goddamn bike now!

Hmm, well two weeks on, and I have the cheque back.

Obviously looking back, I was getting stressed about nothing but I definately wont ever be getting counter-cheques from the bank EVER again.

The way the system works is balls, they take the money out of my account as soon as I get the cheque handed to me, but then it apparently has to wait 7-10 days before it clears, thats provided there are no problems with the cheque (which apparently there are) Where exactley has my money been for the past 2 weeks????

Hasnt been in my account for sure, or the sellers.Perhaps the bank were busy making money with my money before they wanted to give me it back. :angry:

Anyway, sorted now, got my money back, still have to get a goddamn bike now!

Sounds stupid :huh: my normal cheques usually take a maximum of 4 days to clear.... and then it comes out your account when its cleared. whats the point in taking it straight out of your account and then waiting 7-10 days anyway?

glad you got it back (Y)

Sounds stupid :huh: my normal cheques usually take a maximum of 4 days to clear.... and then it comes out your account when its cleared. whats the point in taking it straight out of your account and then waiting 7-10 days anyway?

glad you got it back (Y)

I know!

Originally I went to the bank to ask them to do a bank transfer as the online banking site had gone down temporarily, the nice lady said that it would have a surcharge of £20 which put me off a bit, so I said ill just write a cheque.

She offered do print me one out and as I wanted to get everything sent off asap I agreed, thinking that it would just be the same procedure as if I wrote the cheque myself.(money wont leave my account untill its gone into his)

Had that been the case, I wouldn't have had a problem as i'd have known that he hadnt actually cashed it yet. No idea what was wrong with the cheque, but im just glad to have gotten my money back.

I guess we learn from our mistakes....