Good Graphics Card?

cookie456_the2nd

Can anyone recomend a good graphics card - AGP 8x.

Just built a new system and its all great apart from the graphics card - only some ati cheapo 20 quid one. Its horrible playing my PS2 through my computer screen from my tv card, colours dont shade together, trees are blocks, theres just no detail!

I know that you pay for quality but i dont know much about whats good with graphics cards.

Other hardware im sorted B)

Edit: Not to bothered on price, jus something around the 130 range.

and spec is Athlon 2600+, MSI K7N2, 512 daul channel-crucial, hauppauge win tv 607 card. My has one of these tv cards and its really clear. Dont see why mine isnt though.

Thanks

James

Edited by cookie456_the2nd

nVidia 6800LE. (Y)

What's the spec of your PC now?

it depends what they cost but from my (considerable - im an enthusiast :) ) experience anything with LE on the end is crappy.you'll probably find you're better off with a 6600GT (the GT part is important)

Without getting into too much technical detail the LE versions are missing some pipes to shove information down compared to the proper versions which makes things much much slower. In this case it's missing 8 of the 16 pipes, runs at about half the speed and has shit memory.

a 6600gt (while being cack compared to a 6800 ultra) runs a lot faster, has much faster memory, has extra little chips on it that do shiny things and can run in SLI if your motherboard can do it.

I reckon the 6800LE is a false economy. If I could get a 6800LE for 50quid cheaper than the 6600GT and they both had 256mb I'd go for the 6800LE but only if it wasn't my main machine or I was feeling really poor..

that's academic though cos on scan.co.uk you can get a 256mb 6600GT for 115quids

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo...roductID=299638

and the only 6800LE on there is 135quids

If you havent got that much cash then go for a high end older card rather than a low end new one - the FX5950 is still pretty damn good, as is the radeon9800 pro (but only the pro).

wah, that was bigger than i intended...

:EDIT:

but yeah -tomm has a point - its the Windows end of it thats buggered if all you're doing is playing through a TV card.

Get yourself some new drivers for everything before you go out buying new stuff -itll probably sort itself out.

Edited by poopipe

Yes, but the point is that a 6800LE can be softmodded into a 6800GT (I think). So in essence, it's a very cheap 6800GT, provided you're willing to do a little bit of work on it.

nah - its missing actual hardware on the chip so while you could get it to go faster you wouldn't end up with a real 6800GT.

It's like the old geforce2 to quadro2 hack (u needed a very small soldering iron for that one) - you could get a better clock speed and unlock a couple of features but you were still stuck with the same memory bus and the shite memory.

the 6600GT can be got for AGP - dunno about the 6800LE

Hauppauge win tv 607 card. Could be better but My has one of these tv cards and its really clear.

I have a winTV primio and its also not very clear with an nvidea geforce 2mx, ive never seen anyone else with this card though so i cant compare

nah - its missing actual hardware on the chip so while you could get it to go faster you wouldn't end up with a real 6800GT.

It's like the old geforce2 to quadro2 hack (u needed a very small soldering iron for that one) - you could get a better clock speed and unlock a couple of features but you were still stuck with the same memory bus and the shite memory.

the 6600GT can be got for AGP - dunno about the 6800LE

Its not though the 6800le/6800/6800gt... all use the same core. Some of them are downgraded for quality issues but when there is a high demand for the cheaper cards they just downgrade the high end chips.

My 6800le benchmarks speak for themselves really.

6800le Stock - 2690 3dMark05 Points

6800le Softmodded - 4732 3dMark05 Points

SCAN are poor anyway my 6800le cost about £82 several months ago from OCUK im sure they have dropped in price since then.

SCAN are poor anyway my 6800le cost about £82 several months ago from OCUK im sure they have dropped in price since then.

I've found Scan well good. It only took them a week to RMA my Motherboard.

My 6800LE cost £109 from OcUK but it doesn't seem to be there anymore. :(

:o

wah - i stand corrected on the benchmark softclock thingy - the memory is still only ddr1 as opposed to ddr3 and its still only got half the pixel pipelines. But yeah - much more of an improvement than i was expecting

I've found Scan well good. It only took them a week to RMA my Motherboard.

Thats reassuring cos I'll be sending my fried one back this week (yours an Athlon64 was it ? i'm never buying AMD again )

I like scan too - i saved £1400 (yes, fourteen hundred pounds) on my fancy graphics card on their today only page. For that they will forever have my gratitude and love.

:o

wah - i stand corrected on the benchmark softclock thingy - the memory is still only ddr1 as opposed to ddr3 and its still only got half the pixel pipelines.

Fair enough yes the momory is slower (mines at 800) but mines at 16x6 so has the exact same number of pixel pipelines as the ultra :) thats what the whole softmodding thing does.