Stupid Questions = Need Answers

Synergy

ok in march it should be complete.

im building my t-master to a gu.

1. will the freewheel still b at cranks (stupid i know as im pretty sure it will but just want to clear up)

2. how do the echo bb (isis) work as i heard they are hard to fit (diagrams appreciated)

3.balance - really hard with only a ring and no plate or not as bad as you would expect?

4.will a wider bash ring help if so what are the widest you can get?

5.someone said the gu needs a long bb is the echo one long enough?

6.am i more likely to dent the downtube as i have no bashplate? ie falling onto it or something? if so is it worth getting an armadillo?

7.will it half to be an echo bashring on the echo cranks?

i no these are stupid some but still would just like re-assurance.

there is another question but i cant remember.

Edited by Synergy

ok in march it should be complete.

im building my t-master to a gu.

1. will the freewheel still b at cranks (stupid i know as im pretty sure it will but just want to clear up)

2. how do the echo bb (isis) work as i heard they are hard to fit (diagrams appreciated)

3.balance - really hard with only a ring and no plate or not as bad as you would expect?

6.am i more likely to dent the downtube as i have no bashplate? ie falling onto it or something? if so is it worth getting an armadillo?

i no these are stupid some but still would just like re-assurance.

there is another question but i cant remember.

Yes it will be unless you use a cassette hub like a profile, where you would replace the freewheel with a fixed cog.

Hnmmm ok, basically you use the echo tool to screw one side in, then push the axle into the cup you have just screwed into the frame, then put the other cup in, the tool is very good and would say it's impossible to slip off, then just tighten. BUT if you are running a front freewheel you cannot use the cnc echo freewheel as there is not enough space for the front freewheel, you would have to run a normal BB where the bearings are inside the frame, echo do make BBs for front freewheel now, these should be available soon and available in gold now.

Being a 26" rider, Ive been using a ring for years, there isnt really much of a problem especially once you get used to it, as you end up leaning on your cranks just as much to keep your balence, although don't expect to be bashgaurding rails or pointy rocks haha you will just trap your chain and kill it.

It will not really make much difference, I think one of the best bashrings out are middleburn, but that woun't fit your cranks, just a normal echo bashring is fairly good width, not too thin so it's strong enough, and not stupidly wide, BT bashrings seem rather wide.

The echo BBs are long enough, although question 2 explains the situation with the freewheel not fitting with a CNC echo BB if you are using a front freewheel.

I don't think there is any more chance at all of doing this when you land on your bashring because of the angle of your bike you will stay on the ring, you wouldnt land at the front of your bashring and if you do you will hit the downtube but you would have done the same with a bashplate anyway, downtube protectors can always be good to use to help keep a good warrenty and if you ever want to sell it.

Echo bashrings use echo cranks, there are many bashrings that won't fit but from what i know echo, zoo or BT bashrings will fit, I don't think any kind of tensile will fit.

Phil.

Edited by totaltrials

Can be at the cranks or at the rear, your choice. Im running mine on the front

I am pretty sure that they are not front freewheel compatible. if you run a rear cassete hub or a freewheel on the rear it should be ok though. You also need a special tool to fit one, it can be seen

I find it not to bad. Just think to yourself people on stock bikes manage fine so why should mod be different? you may have to balance with your weight over to one side slightly but its not too bad.

I dont think a wider bash will help as it is still at one side. I would say that the only reason for a wider bash ring is if you keep landing heavy on your bash so you need the extra strength.

As said above the echo one is not front freewheel compatible. id reccomend either a Echo 2005 square taper or for ISIS id reccomend the FSA PRO DH downhill one (Y)

I found that when i got my python i was hitting my downtube a lot compared to my t-pro because a bash goes a little way up the downtube so id reccomend a armudillo.

I dont think so, aslong as it is a screw on/slide on bash that is made for front freewheel cranks :)

Damn i shouldnt have gone and made a brew half way through posting :(

Edited by sir trial a lot

ok so clear this up.... i would need a different isis bottom bracket?

any specific ones work best?

i have a viz rear hub any way i could get thee freewheel on the back or something?

Well in my opinion you have 2 options.

1: use a front freewheel set up, (12t rear screw on cog, 18t freewheel up front) and get a 127.5mm bottom bracket. My suggestion would be the fsa platinum pro or similar (Y)

2: put a freewheel on the rear (either 16t or 18t) and have a 22t or 24t (22t for 16t freewheel 24t for 18t freewheel) and use the echo bb.

I would DEFINATELY go for the front freewheel set up and a different bottom bracket (Y)