Information On The Megamo Pro Equip Needed

deadly venom

Everyone I have some questions about the Megamo 26" Pro Equip dual disk frame. My question is, is this a good frame for a heavier rider that weighs 200 pounds? The reason why I ask this is because I have a chance to buy one of these frames and I want to know if it is good or not. My second question is, is there any history of breakage at the disk mounts or any were else? I have heard that some trials frames have suffered from severe breakage at the disk mounts, has this frame suffered the same fate? I did do a search and found some information but none on this particular subject. Any help will be appreciated.

Ride on,

Deadly Venom

Edited by deadly venom

I used to have the 20'' version.

Never heard anything about the disk mounts cracking. If they crack anywere they crack at where the seat stays join the seat tube.

Just rember that this frame was designed for comp use. Riding alot of street on it will result in it breaking in under a year.

Ive used to ride the megamo radical until I grew to tall... i prefer a longer frame. I weigh about 13.5 stone and rode street a lot, it held up fine with no dents etc. so i would say pretty strong!

ps. radical is same frame minus disk mount

Narrowbars,

Thanks for the info! I plan to use the frame for natural trials only, no street. How long do you think it will last riding natural trials with a 200 pound rider?

Ride on,

Deadly Venom

If your only riding natural it should be ok for quite a while. My broke on the horozontal dropouts. but the 26'' has vertical dropouts so you will be fine. It's a good frame and if your getting it at a good price then go for it.

Paul

tompeibiketrial, narrowbars,

Thank you for the info! I have one last question, considering the strain that disk brakes put on the spokes should I use very heavy gauge spokes? I know alot of people in trials and bmx use 14 gauge spokes but should I maybe consider 13 or maybe 12 gauge spokes for a disk brake on the rear?

P.S. What kind of derailleur hanger does the Megamo Equip pro use? If something happens to it can I use one from Koxx, Echo, ZOO!, or any other derailleur hanger from a current manufacturer.

Ride on,

Deadly Venom

Edited by deadly venom

Come on everyone, some of you have to know if 13 gauge or 12 gauge spokes are just right or too much. And please tell me if the Megamo equip pro can use a derailleur hanger from another manufacturer. Lastly, what is the bottom bracket rise on the pro equip? If it is a little high will it make the bike feel extra small? The reason why I ask this is because I am a little over 6 feet tall and I don't want the bike to feel like a mini bike.

P.S. Will a set of cranks with a 22 tooth chain ring fit on this frame with no problem?

Ride on,

Deadly Venom

Edited by deadly venom

Come on everyone, some of you have to know if 13 gauge or 12 gauge spokes are just right or too much. And please tell me if the Megamo equip pro can use a derailleur hanger from another manufacturer. Lastly, what is the bottom bracket rise on the pro equip? If it is a little high will it make the bike feel extra small? The reason why I ask this is because I am a little over 6 feet tall and I don't want the bike to feel like a mini bike.

P.S. Will a set of cranks with a 22 tooth chain ring fit on this frame with no problem?

Ride on,

Deadly Venom

I used normal quality spokes. Somthing like sapim or dt double butted will be fine. Avoid getting black spokes. It would be worth getting the raer wheel built 4 cross non-drive side as your quite a big guy. A normal set of cranks will fit no problem just use a bb with an axel length of 122mm upwards.

The dropout is the same as the ones you find on saracens ect so you should be able to get on easyly enough.

Not sure on the bb rise. Most people run a flat bar with a 100mm 5' rise stem.

Paul

Dosn't it come with a guarantee if it dose it will probably be valid for a year witch gives you time to see if its going to snap. (Y):-

They have only a 3 month warranty+megamo went bust a while ago so there will be no chance on a warranty.

I suggest building the wheel 4x both sides as your quite a big guy.

Use silver spokes as black are weaker.

They are weaker because they are made slightly thinner so that once they apply the black coating there then the same as normal silver spokes and still fit through the hub flanges.

Paul

Suppoosedly the tensile strength of each spoke is around 2% weaker or something because of the anodising process, but they also supposedly flex a miniscule bit better because of it, which makes the wheel (unnoticably) bouncier, and reduces wheel-pretzelling. Personally, I very much doubt you will find any difference.

Use silver spokes as black are weaker.

They are weaker because they are made slightly thinner so that once they apply the black coating there then the same as normal silver spokes and still fit through the hub flanges.

Paul

Bollocks, the black coating is an oxide layer which you would be pushed to measure with a "tenths" micrometer.

Bollocks, the black coating is an oxide layer which you would be pushed to measure with a "tenths" micrometer.

For what ever reason black spokes snap more often than silver ones.

As you seem to no everything there is to no about everything then please could you let us all know why this is.

Thanks For all your helpful comments.