Acs Two Gear Bodge

Concussion

I need a more reliable free-wheel/engagement set-up, Kings are to expensive and Hopes just don’t seem good enough. The single speed option - screw on rear hub with ACS freewheel seemed limited as I am used to using two gears, 20 X 18 for trials and 20 X 11 for getting about.

Although the toughness and engagement of these freewheels seems very attractive.

SO…….I got to thinking, why not put an ACS on the front (Tensile), a fixed sprocket/screw on hub combo on the back, AND wield another smaller sprocket to the original screw on fixed sprocket and hopefully use my shifter to switch between the two?

I originally thought about putting a ACS on the back with two up front but that seems worse, if not impossible! :blink:

Can anyone see anything wrong in doing this, as without buying the bits, I can’t get my head round what problems I might run into?

Top of my head:

The space to wield another sprocket will be very limited / will it shift between gears as I won’t have shifting guides, at least not on the larger screw on sprocket / as an ACS is 18T, what gear combo would I need to get the same ratio as above (gear ratio calc seems to be down, as does my brain! :huh: )

Phew` Anything else?

Thanks in advance! (Y)

I need a more reliable free-wheel/engagement set-up, Kings are to expensive and Hopes just don’t seem good enough. The single speed option - screw on rear hub with ACS freewheel seemed limited as I am used to using two gears, 20 X 18 for trials and 20 X 11 for getting about.

seeems a bit strange that you're going from a hope to an acs, but there we go....

You will definitly need a mech/tensioner of some sort because otherwise it will jump off if the chain isn't tight. Seems a good idea otherwise

I think Pete's idea is pretty cool though (Y)

You could simply weld up a deore hub and be able to fit a cassette on the back, or just buy a hope :o

H`mmm, that's interesting (Y) Although I thought I'd save some weight using a DMR SS hub, but maybe not? Cool idea (Y)

I'm just saying ACS as a general name for that type of freewheel, sorry!

In fact the only reason I'm trying this is cause I read about a 72EP expensive one last night....er` ENO summit?

I don't own a Hope! :o Just judging them from the info I read here, Bulbs break, Monos are ok. For £80 I want a bit more for my money. (yes you get cartridge bearings but who needs em` IMO?)

What about that shifting....that’s gonna suck me thinks?

I know this will cost more than £80 in the long run, but 72ep's without the price and hassle of a King!

Yes please (Y)

I can't see why you don't really want to run a Hope, but why not just do as most freewheel users do, and run the freewheel on the front, then use a locked out deore, or echo fixed cassette hub, and stick gears on there. Then you can run lots of gears, and have no trouble shifting. :)

IPB Image

That is the trials eno freewheel with 72ep. The red and blue both have 36ep I think.

whiteind.com

Zero run out, CNC'd machined cro-mo freewheel, sealed cartridge bearing, sealed externally, 36 points of engagement, three pawl mechanism. 1.37" x 24 tpi, accepts 1/8" or 3/32" chain. 16t, 17t, 18t, 19t, 20t, 21t, 22t, 23t .

TRIALS: Green ringed 18t specific freewheel with 72 points of engagement, 6 pawl mechanism.

DOS: Two speeds on one freewheel. 16/18, 17/19, and 16/19 made specifically for the Double/Double, accepts 3/32" chain.

Edited by Jaffacakes

I can't see why you don't really want to run a Hope, but why not just do as most freewheel users do, and run the freewheel on the front, then use a locked out deore, or echo fixed cassette hub, and stick gears on there. Then you can run lots of gears, and have no trouble shifting. :)

I had not seen the Echo fixed hub before, as with the wielded Deore idea, this seems the way to go to run a front FW and gears. Cheers guys (Y)

Hopes: I'm kind of obsessed with buying things and regretting it later (I got boxes full of crap!), well y`know!

£80 seems like a lot when all I'm interested in is the freehub which will give me probs eventually, and I do appreciate the after service, but oh` well?

Y`know, why can't they make a cheap cone/bb hub with the same freehub design (although this may be a design problem), maybe even pre-lubed for trials riders as they/you guys show them so much support?

Thanks Jaffacakes, that's the puppy! (The red and blue both have 36ep) - Sweet, that's a Bulb, these look good!

Edited by Concussion