Switch Frame On A Monty 221

FreeKihl

Hello, new here :)

I need some thoughts/inputs on this:

I started riding trial again after 8 years (I'm 22 this year) since my last biketrial comp. and managed to get my hands on a cheap Monty 221 last summer. I'm happy with the tires, the brakes and so on but the frame is first of too flexible (new echo team brakebooster helps a little but still not enough) and second it's too short for me (Wheelbase: ~940mm, I'm 184cm).

Now to the questions: Is it possible to move over all the parts to a new frame? Do you recommend me doing so?

I've had my eyes on frames from ZOO and ECHO but also some frames made by, for me, unknown companies: Czar and Adamant to name a few. (£299 is absolute max.)

What do you recommend and what do you not recommend? Which frames works (if any) for me?

I'm a poor swedish student and can't afford a new complete bike and the (after)market in Sweden isn't the best. I hope you understand my stuttering english. :D

Thanks in advance!

I think you should go for the Gu Typhoon (long). It is so nice to ride and floats across any gap you want it to. The components should fit unless they are really old.

Here is a few pictures of my Gu Typhoon:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Hope i've help you mate!

From Stuart :)

Edited by mini

Yeh you can, but monty's have smaller rear hubs than most mod's as far as I know so you may need a new rear hub/wheel.

Your booster isn't mounted correctly though as far as I can see. Has your frame got two holes on the back of the chain stay's in between the 4 bolt mounts? Try mounting your booster there and see if it makes any differance.....

hi mate all montey parts are good and if you havnt got the money yet you can always upgrade them whilst you go on (Y)

but out of your links its only the "zoo" link that is a 20" bike the rest "czar" "adamant" and "echo" are 26" but on the echo link you can get a 20" version which is the same style which is call echo team you can get it from tarty but you will have to look around if you want the cheapest price (Y)

cheers fergie

I think you should go for the Gu Typhoon (long). It is so nice to ride and floats across any gap you want it to. The components should fit unless they are really old.

Here is a few pictures of my Gu Typhoon:

Hope i've help you mate!

From Stuart :)

It sure looks looong, will definitely look into that one.

Yeh you can, but monty's have smaller rear hubs than most mod's as far as I know so you may need a new rear hub/wheel.

Your booster isn't mounted correctly though as far as I can see. Has your frame got two holes on the back of the chain stay's in between the 4 bolt mounts? Try mounting your booster there and see if it makes any differance.....

As I mentioned, I've got a new Echo team booster now, the Monty brakebooster didn't do much good. It was mounted that way when I bought it, I later on discovered the two holes on the other side.

A friend mentioned the smaller rearhubs, perhaps some washers(?) can fix that?

hi mate all montey parts are good and if you havnt got the money yet you can always upgrade them whilst you go on (Y)

but out of your links its only the "zoo" link that is a 20" bike the rest "czar" "adamant" and "echo" are 26" but on the echo link you can get a 20" version which is the same style which is call echo team you can get it from tarty but you will have to look around if you want the cheapest price (Y)

cheers fergie

I should be shot or something :S Thanks anyway for your time! :turned:

Thanks alot all for your replays!! What's left now is to find the lowest price I guess. Apart from tartybikes and selectbikes, what other onlineshops should I check out?

I think you should get a echo team, available in two lengths and nice to ride. (Y)

I like the Echo team design. There is no need for brakebooster on those (as they say)?

I've found an apparently good framekit @ tartybikes with BB, bashguard and headset. Not sure about the wheelbase though. Any comments on that frame/kit?

Also the 2005 ZOO CLS frame looks sweet, what's new on the 06 CLS frame?

Edited by FreeKihl

To be honest I think the differance is too big for washers, perhaps on've these non monty riders can measure the distance between their rear drop out's and i'll measure mine once I get home.........

I mailed Adam @ TartyBikes and he said that just use some spacers or just clamp the wheel as normal.

Before you go rushing out to buy a new frame, you could try a different stem and bar combo, that would make your "cockpit" area feel much longer if you tilted the bars forwards.

Maybe zoo bars and stem?

That monty is georgious though, it's worth a try (Y) .

Keep your eye out for 20'' aorta frames soon to be around online shops in the united kingdom.

Something abit different and unique well for a month or two :turned:

Oh and the echo lite frame might tickle your fancy.

Edited by rickyb

Keep your eye out for 20'' aorta frames soon to be around online shops in the united kingdom.

Something abit different and unique well for a month or two :turned:

Oh and the echo lite frame might tickle your fancy.

They are out at selectbikes i think.

I think you should get a zona zip. Top bikes and all your monty parts should go on, (myne did)

all you will need is a bashplate, and they are £160 from supercycles

and £10 for p+p next day delivery . (Y)

That frame sure looks cool, not to mention the price. All good with that frame?

I must say their site looks a bit less trustworthy than the other online-shops, but perhaps someone here can guarantee me that everything is fine? Anyone know if the do international shipping (within EU)?