British Biketrial Championship 2006

Barbara

Thanks for all the compliments guys ... although I didn't quite achieve what I set out to do ...

1. A trial that everyone can enjoy - think I managed that.

2. The winner of each class finishing on 10 or under - not quite, but not far off!

3. Entries from more younger riders (the future of the sport) - yep, managed that!

4. Sections that weren't impossible to clean - yep, managed that (except in white route)

I also noticed that the entry wasnt that big!

5. The highest entry in a national comp for three or more years ...

Rnd 1 Devon = 70 Entries

Rnd 2 Derbys = 63 Entries

Rnd 3 Yorks = 62 Entries

Rnd 4 Lancs = 63 Entries

Rnd 5 Surrey = 69 Entries

Rnd 1 Devon = 68 Entries

Rnd 2 Derbys = 69 Entries

Rnd 3 Yorks = 65 Entries

Rnd 4 Surrey = 58 Entries

Rnd 1 Yorks = 71 Entries

Rnd 2 Yorks = 62 Entries

Rnd 3 Devon = 49 Entries

Rnd 4 Surrey = 47 Entries

Rnd 1 Yorks = 73 Entries (Y)

Thanks for all your support. :-

Barbara

How come it was so expensive to enter this year.

cause they had to buy a red carpet to roll out for hawzie.

i messed up so bad on my first lap, was so pissed off. second was a bit better... but know it wasnt my best... was riding sketchy.

hawzie helped me out so much, hes awesome, deffo wouldnt have done aswell if it wasnt for him.

i thought it was an awesome trial, first national i done though, done about 5-6 hampshires before over the last couple of years... so i spose i havent really got a lot to go on... but thought it was a good show... good work to all helpers (Y)

williams looks more blonde than ginger any way (Y):D

hehe.

yes porter i know what you mean by the support of a rider that has done it for so long, it was like that when i rode the brit round of the worlds akrigg did so much for me it was due to him i did so well. i can only ride the bike, but the advice received is much more helpful than thinking "bah, il just bash me way through it, it'll be reyt" :P haha. the usual me ;)

the enquiry was about a "gears" rule. its 6 speed to usually ride in a british round, its the only reason i frigging put gears on my bike!!!! i wouldnt ride with gears other wise. but im sure the problem will be solved and sorted ASAP :)(Y) Personally i feel there shouldnt be a gears rule but who am i to change something like that? i dont and can not write the rules :(

Waynio..........................

Gears rule is shit!!! There is no need for it.

And if I was andrei, and if people are going to be soo f**king petty just cos they didnt win, and I dont know if its fred or ben, but I would complain that fred helped set out the sections. Thats more of an advantage than not having gears.

Ruins the sport. Glad I didnt waste my time going.

Gears rule is shit!!! There is no need for it.

And if I was andrei, and if people are going to be soo f**king petty just cos they didnt win, and I dont know if its fred or ben, but I would complain that fred helped set out the sections. Thats more of an advantage than not having gears.

Ruins the sport. Glad I didnt waste my time going.

they maybe in your opinion, but rules are rules they're set by the biu

as for the marking out. i think you've made a really good point (if you want trials to stop all together) all the organisers either ride or are the parents of riders. that statement is crazy!

it does cost £50 to file a claim though??????and that HAD to be paid for the complaint to go through.

so it doesnt come free. i know the gears rule is crap and i put that this time last year, but i aint writing a letter to Japan for them to say "wow your one kid who wants the gears rule changing" i know more people would like but its a nightmare :( it has just changed in "UCI" so we may see it change in BIU (maybe?) if people want it doing, if they are willing to "help" i would like to do something about it. but i dont think many people would like to chip in and help???? or would they????

i dont care, i rode a trial and had fun. my bike had 6 working gears along with the majority of the master class. i would admit id be pissed off if i had no gears and was caught(even though andrei was only a shifter and a cable missing, it wouldnt shift gears "Manually"???), just think how i felt last year when i had two "complaints" against me, when i had to ASK everyone about one of the complaints and people were ok about it. then the 2nd i didnt know the RULE but then accepted it and said if they want to complain, fair play, i wouldnt stand there and argue it, but it would have put "10" points on my score, and would have cost someone "£50" and i would have still won. but i know how it feels and you can be totally gutted. iv got no chance of winning a brit round this year, but i go, enjoy it and try my best to overcome things that are put in front of me.

i just now dont want my head biting off if possible :( im just saying i was nearly in the same predicament, but people werent willing to put there money where their mouth was.........

Waynio..........................

I know we need organisers, but when things get as bitchy as this, then why not get bitchy back?

Do you honestly think andrei would have done worse if he had gears?? To win like this is not a victory.

Well, before this goes any further and people, (JIX), are tempted to speculate upon matters they don’t understand I would like to set the record straight.

On behalf of BikeTrial U.K. I am obliged to inspect the sections that the clerk of the course has set and if necessary make recommendations. Why is this done? Its because two heads are better than one, a third party, (me), can often point out a potential risk that may have been missed. I am there to make recommendations which the clerk of the course may or may not act on. I have to confess that I have been guilty of putting some tape round markers to help speed up the marking out process, if this is seen as giving a rider I am associated with an advantage I’ll stop doing that in future and the others on site can get on with it.

The marks in some of the classes were very close and to separate final positions the rule book had to be consulted. The rules for BikeTrial are printed in the ACU handbook; the committee are obliged to carry them out in every respect. Organiser cannot decide to apply one rule and ignore another, unless supplementary rules are shown on the entry form. It transpired that one competitor’s bike did not conform to the regulations, therefore the organisers have no choice but to consider the situation, that is being done. All licence holders have a copy of the rules and upon entering a competition hosted by the ACU, run to the rules set out by the U.K. committee, entrants agree to abide by the rules as set.

There is nothing personal about this, if you want to compete you have to abide by the rules and if you don’t then organisers have no choice but to consider the situation and make a decision.

Fred Savage.

The gears rule has largely been run on the following basis:

You can run singlespeeds if you want, but you must either run out of class, or be prepared for protests if you do well.

For riders competing at the top of their class - especially for those at the top of the highest class - their bike must conform to the rules, just as they must conform to other rules of the event. If a rider misses a section out, do you think the people they're competing against would let them off a five because it was probably a genuine mistake? Missed a gate in a section, but you probably just forgot. Have a clean. I don't think so.

Probably 30%-50% of 26" riders were running proper singlespeeds with one cog and a tensioner, and they were not protested. I'm sure they had a great day and everyone was happy. They were not challenging for a podium or looking to win the championship in their class. Had they been, I'm sure there would be complaints.

Andrei's bike could not reach all six gears under any circumstances, which he agreed with when we discussed it. Quite why it takes two weeks to see that a rule was broken, I don't know. I'm sure Andrei did not benefit from the situation, but the bike did not meet the regulations any more than if it had 24" wheels or an engine.

Where was the pre-comp bike check?

There was no scruteniering of the bikes before the comp.

Should really be done at every round in my opinion.

Rules are rules, yes i agree, but it should be the same for all riders, from the top down.

My first world comp i had my bike checked, an i had to tape over the end of my grips, tighten wheel bearings and unstick my shifter to get it to pass. I came last but one in the comp! There was no way i was going to win, but it was the same for everyone.

Barry, is it not the responsibility of the rider to make sure they follow the rules of the event?

"Art. 33 KNOWLEDGE OF THE RULES

The riders, upon applying for entry for competition must possess a thorugh knowledge of the present Technical Rules and respect any other instructions given by the organizers in order to improve the event."

I'm not arguing one way or the other in this specific case, just making a general point!

Yes, there is. It is up to the rider to make sure that they conform to the rules.

But there is also a responsibility of the organiser that the rules are upheld from the start.

The organiser has a lot of responibility, the rider may think that their bike is safe, but its the organiser who has the final say about it, they are the ones running the event. At the end of the day the bikes should be checked before the event. All other ACU events have this rule in place.

If any footballer wants to go on the pitch with sharp studs on their boots then the ref will stop them before they go on, not tell them off at the final whistle.

I'm not looking to absolve the organisers of responsibility Barry, just raising a point.

Speaking of which:

"Art. 40 NATIONAL TECHNICAL RULES

Every country is authorized to publish its own technical rules however they may be different from the international ones EXCEPT THE PENALIZATION SYSTEM. Such technical rules are only valid for the national events."

:-

Except taken from BIU rules found here!