Video Compression?

James Quigley

Ok, first off I bought a new Mini DV camera last week, which is awesome! BUT......

After taking a few practice clips I noticed that when transfered to my computer an 18sec clip is 100MB, yes Mega Bytes!

So the question is, how the hell do I compress that file size without destroying the quality of it?

I'm guessing I'm an idiot and that there is probably a simple solution, but that wont stop some of you guy's slating me will it.

So even 1 helpful comment would be appreciated.

Cheers!

From my limited experience... you have it super high quality when your editing it and transfering it off your cam to your pc, then you compress it once your done editing. Some of my vids ended up as 1gb + when i transfered, but in movie maker (god forbid anyone still uses this) you can set what quality it takes the clips from off the cam.

From my limited experience... you have it super high quality when your editing it and transfering it off your cam to your pc, then you compress it once your done editing. Some of my vids ended up as 1gb + when i transfered, but in movie maker (god forbid anyone still uses this) you can set what quality it takes the clips from off the cam.

I'm using Adobe Premiere Pro, and I want to keep the good quality. And I want to know how to compress it, I've just put a song and 40sec of clips in and made the movie, came out at around 800MB.

edit it all at full DV quality then export movie.. as full DV ... then use some other program that gives you some choices to compress....

divX is a pretty good method for encoding ... use virtualdub or for easy peasy one setting stuff just get divX converter

but you could always go .wmv with (curse n spit) movie maker

or some quicktime balls .mov (more cursing and spitting)

or summut else

mpeg I or II or whatever..