Dirt Bike Riders

emery

hi is there anyone who is a dirt bike rider or knows alot about dirtbikes and all the parts as i am wandering what disk brake to put on it for about £50 and also what middle chainring would be best for a 7sp..

toby :rolleyes:

Something hydraulic, and something thats going to be strong. Along the lines of a hayes or a hope disc brake. It all depends really on how much you are willing to spend and how much of the 'pimp factor' you want. The hayes is generally a cheaper brake but a good performer though doesn't have anything special in the looks department. The hope brakes on the other hand are generally more expensive but offer reliable stopping power and have a certain hint of bling to them with customisable levers and cylinder caps etc. They are also available in 2, 4 and 6 pot (the number of pots is the number of cylinders that apply the force to the brake pads, the more pots the more power).

This is what i'm running on my jump bike and it was a bargain second hand at £30, as you can tell from the reviews its a great brake thats easy to set up and offers loads of power. Link to hayes brake

This is the sort of thing you're looking to go for if your after a hope brake as the hope mini's have some issues with performance and reliablility.. however these have a much higher price link to hope.

Either way you're going to have to ebay it up to get one under £50 unless you can find a second hand one locally or on a dirt biking forum. As to the chainrings just get something solid and reliable like a dmr sturn ring or a solid middleburn one .

My dirt bike was built up out of spare and second hand parts and is a right demon to ride. I didn't want to go for the pimp factor but just something subtle and that works.

IPB Image

Edited by Krisboats

I would say get a cable brake, because when you start to learn tricks its ALOT cheaper to replace a cable than a hydraulic hose if you fall off. Avid BB5-7 amazing brakes. And about the cassette, i would go single speed if you can less hassle and not as many things to die when you're miles from home.(as almost everything seems to when you are :- )

Chris

ok thanks im not an actual dirt bike rider but just want it fixed up as it is a bit broke with no front brake broken front gears. so i want it to be ok for when i do ride it on the dirt track like for just jumping and if i go single speed how would it cost as at the moment i am running 21 sp but i was planning to juts run a 7 sp whilehaving the middle burn chainring (middle) and my cassette. also what if i was to go single speed what type of ratio should i have. and also what stuff extra would i have to buy for going single speed etc like a new hub or anything like that.. thanks

toby (Y)

Well you would need a single speed kitLink. But use the lockring that you have at the moment! I have hurd the the ones that come with the kit cross-thread and generally mucking things up. Does you're frame have vertical or horizontal drop-outs?

Edit: The most popular ratio is 32/16 but i use 38/18.

Chris

Edited by Metal