Serious Pc Help Required..

Olly C

Hello guys,

Well story so far to get y'all up to date..

About a week ago I use a system cleaner to clean up mess on my PC, didn't need the space just wanted it clean, delete temp internet files, history, all that kind of stuff and.. Duplicate Files.

I deleted all the duplicates on my PC by selecting the list and deleting it, straight away a message box pops up and says I need to re-activate windows? I restore to the day before hoping it'd be solved but I then can't log in without activating it, find my key acitivate it get on and all is well.

Que - a few days ago, use the computer all day like usual, no hardware or program additons or anything turn it off at night all is well, in the morning I get black message screen saying windows didn't start successfully and options like Safe Mode, Last Known Good State, Start Windows Normally..

I choose last good state and it goes through the windows loading up screen, then as it makes the big wirr to push onto the log-in screen a blue error screen appears saying Windows Failed to load, system memory dump etc etc not good.

Does that above paragraph everytime :( Ran Harddrive test, thats fine, ran memory test, thats fine.

Today I recieved my Windows Re-install CD's repaired windows, but it still ends up at the blue screen.

Im posting from my other PC but I can swap the harddrive to this one and copy files here because the new PC has a SATA Harddrive and this doesn't so Im stuck there. The computers are both connected to the net via the same router, but I couldn't network them at the time, so if its possible to get data through a network from a computer in that state I could try..

I'd obviously like to keep the data I have on that PC so what are my options?

Cheers Olly

I've got a couple of things that might help.

How much data do you think you might need to copy?

Starting the PC shouldn't be a problem with various Linux's on CD or a (probable best option) Windows PE-alike CD (like windows running off a CD, no problems reading NTFS). I don't know if you have anything like that already. At the very worst, I suppose it could cost the price of a SATA PCI adaptor or a new hard drive.

I can send you the CDs though...

that'd probably work .

you should be able to network the machines if they're hooked into the same router - try connecting via IP address (type \\192.168.1.1 in windows explorer bar - except use your IP not that one) type ipconfig in a command prompt to find it out if you're using dynamic addressing.

if that connects then just share the folder you want to copy over and bob's your uncle.

As for the knackered pc - sounds like hardware or cacked drivers - on XP all the drivers are duplicated for safety purposes and for runtime use so if the system cleaner is shit it could easily have deleted the duplicates, which would upset windows greatly.

Have you tried choosing start normally? (may be a silly question - may not). The last good state option tries to force driver and hardware settings to fix problems but I've honestly never seen it do anything useful.

Starting normally lets windows figure it all out for itself using the add hardware wizard which is usually a lot more effective at fixing stuff.

That's usually safe enough and would probably work but I'd definitely advise backing up first as I have lost data repairing win2000 more than once.

If it'll start normally just let windows deal with all the hardware itself - its a lower risk strategy than a repair (which is basically a reinstall)

*Update*

Im on the PC in question as I type. I called up a friend who had a SATA hard drive and when I went round there I found he had a 200GB SATA Harddrive he didn't realise was in his system (wasn't showning up in my computer) he's had it a year and never noticed so we dumped loads of his videos and stuff 115GB worth onto that harddrive and then copied all my "Programs" and "Documents and Settings" over to his harddrive with his operating system on.

I then use my Windows XP disks to re-install windows where as before I'd actually only been trying to repair it, its taken a while and now its done, but everything is back to bare basics.

Some good news, all of "Programs" and my old user accounts and my doucments folders are still showing so everything is still on my harddrive, it just wrote over the old windows folder.

Bads news is, its random, I dont think the PC reconises my graphics or sound cards or moniter properly, also obviously none of the programs work, the old user accounts arent actual account that you can log into anymore the folders are there but its created new "Olly.Dimension9150" that I log into aswell. Also when I press shift and the number 2 instead of coming up with " < that it comes up with @ < that? not sure whats up there..

These new user accounts have nothing in them at all, on the desktop there is a recycling bin but thats it, theres no programs or anything like that either.

MSN Messenger runs from my old programs folder, I've re-downloaded the same anti virus software and firewall that I had before and thats as far as I've gone.

So Im not really sure how to get back to how it used to be? Im guessing, find drivers for all the hardware, transfer accross the files and delete the old user accounts? re-download or install the programs I used to have (none of the old programs show up in the add/remove programs list btw)

Just seems like a lot of hassle like usual theres never a quick fix :( I used to have Windows XP Media Center 2005 Home Edition now I seem to have Windows Media Center 2002 Professional? not sure what difference that makes either..

Any ideas let me know..

Cheers Olly

The keyboard " and @ switched means your keyboard is currently set up as English US when it's an English UK keyboard. Go into "Regional And Language Options" in control panel and change it. You'll probably find your pound sign is a hash sign above the number three.

I guess your PC is a Dell Dimension 9150 (from that username?). Have you got a driver-install type disc? It would have come with the PC. Unless you've upgraded a load of bits, in which case yes, you'll have to find the drivers on the web. If the graphics driver isn't found at first windows goes to it's basic and fairly rubbish graphics driver, which might be why your monitor isn't at the correct resolution.

Try letting windows search for the drivers it needs - Control Panel -> System and find the hardware/device manager, have a look whats there and any drivers you'd like to update or things that have an exclamation mark next to them because they haven't started properly, find the update driver option and windows hunts on the web for it. At least, I've done that a few times and it's worked.

I really suggest you backup everything possible and do a fresh install formatting the drive. Windows throws alsorts of errors when installed over an existing installation.

If you are having problems finding drivers post the hardware names in here and ill see what i can do.

EDIT: With it being a dell all the drivers should be available here http://support.euro.dell.com/support/downl...c=uk&l=en&s=gen but chances are wont be the latest.

Thanks for the help so far you guys,

My keyboards back for now and I've found my moniter and graphics card drivers and a few others on disk, although the resolution is clearer and I have no hardcore screen lag when scrolling the Start bar and internet titles bars arent very clear? there kind of blocky or jagged.

Still no found sound card yet, only system beep at the moment ;)

I can't ever access the Dell site on either PC I dont know why in the hell I cant but I just cant, which isn't helpful.

I think as I've got the stuff backed up on my friends harddrive I'd like to do a fresh boot of the system and completey wipe it all, It did say windows didn't like having 2 operating systems installed so I'd rather not chance it further down the line.

So... whats the basic guide for me to wipe everything re-install windows xp media center and start a fresh?

If I go through with that option will I have to then have to re-install all the basic stuff required or is most of it installed with XP? obviously when I start it up I'll use Windows Update to get the latest files there, at the same time re-installing the anti-virus software and firewall.

I'll still have access to the net from my other PC to give updates on my progress, appreiciate all the help guys..

Cheers Olly.

1) Put Cd In Drive

2) Reboot Computer

3) Set Bios To Boot From CD

4) Let the blue screen stuff work its magic

5) Select install then the drive you want to install it to

6) When asked format the drive with 'NTFS (Quick)'

7) Keep following all the insructions

That will install windows then goto windows update and update everything that will have things like windows messenger and windows media player installed. Other than that youve pretty much gotta install all your programs separately.

Ok then, thats pretty much what I did last time but without the Format I saw the option your talking about, I guess I'll try that out.

*Silent Update without a bump*

Formatted the PC, All drivers seem to be back no yellow exclaimations in device manager, keyboard and language settings all English (Cheers Ian) screen looks crisp and the sounds there along with network connection too. AntiVirus Software and Firewall installed currently waiting for windows to finish all of the updates then its back to installing the programs I had and taking the harddrive out and collecting all my old harddrive contents from my friends house later this evening :)

I'll post again when its all totally back to normal.

Olly.

Everything seems to be sorted now, got it all back working, all drivers and stuff sorted.. (No yellow exclaimations) My WiFi Dongle took a while to set-up but its working fine now.

I really dont know why the Dell site never works for me on either of my computers, I can't get on any of the site bits the shop/support/help or anything so I won't ever be able to download latest drivers if updated ones become available, random..

I've just copied all my files and stuff back over onto my harddrive from the friends house and my user accounts pretty much back to what it was (Y)

Thanks for all the help guys (Y)

Olly.