What Car

fadomlarge

hello people of the forum

right my gf wants to get a car, she is just turned 18 hasnt passed hur test yet,but the rents want to bye hur a car . she has up to 1000 4 a car, she wants to get a 306 but i say no as the engine size is a little big

what are your thorughts on this and what car would u say other wise

thank u fadom

Go by insurance quotes, there not much choice she can have at that age. Diesels are a bit cheaper then petrols, but not much.

Avoid Saxos, they're cheap run abouts, but I've found the insurance on them as rocketed, even on a 1.1, I guess this is because dickheads wrap them around lamposts too often.

Fiat Puntos aren't too bad, the gearboxes are made of chocolate, but I'm guessing she wouldnt be having it for too long?

All depends on her/her parents income and what they're prepared to pay out on insurance.

I am having trouble finding something that i can buy and insure for £1700

:o Thats silly. What are you actually looking to buy here? 1000 on your first car will do you for a year, 700 would pay off about 5-6 months worth of insurance, by which time you'd have saved enough for the next 6-7 months.

Try for;

Metro, Astra, Fiesta (new and old shape), Corsa, Saxo.

There are a lot of Corsa's about, if you can get your hands on a Diesel (a bit rare though as I found) then the insurance is low. Corsas are a bit...wank...but she can't really afford to be too fussy.

Use confused.com to get a rough idea on insurance and you can safely rule out cars.

Auto Trader

Sorry for the OT but is it really that expensive to insure a car in the UK? My dad pays ~80 pounds per year to insure his MGA, and about the same for the CRX.

Its cheap if you're over 21. There are too many twats in cars now, so it backfired on the 'good' drivers trying to get on the ladder.

Basically, we all get tarred with the same brush. Insurers make out its because your '17/18 and unexperienced' yet the 17/18 unexperienced drivers from 10 years ago were the same as us, but they didn't pay well over the odds.

Insurance is a f**king joke. People still drive without it and get let off lightly when they're caught, some people just get away with a fine...for me, that fine would be cheaper then if I followed the law and paid out my insurance. I have a 1.3 fiesta, my insurance is about 1500...my car isn't even worth that...and neither are many other peoples cars on the road.

Its not fair at all, but then again, what the f**k is fairness in England?

hello people of the forum

right my gf wants to get a car, she is just turned 18 hasnt passed hur test yet,but the rents want to bye hur a car . she has up to 1000 4 a car, she wants to get a 306 but i say no as the engine size is a little big

what are your thorughts on this and what car would u say other wise

thank u fadom

I wouldnt worry about the engine size, your not gonna get a nice 306 for under a grand! 306's are not that high on the insurance either, my 1.6 306 is a group 5 and the 1.4 is group 4 insurance I believe.

yeh insurance is a killer, but it's deffinatly cheaper for girls. My sister was like 500 pounds cheaper on her first year than mine. My first year was £1400 alone on insurance and my car was £600, so that obviously a 2 grand total. On my second year now and I got it down to £500 by switching companies. However my MOT cost me like $400 on top of that so it was still quite a lot. I managed to pay it all off 2nd time round so i'm good for the year now, but my first year was payed by a monthly standing order of £135.

Anyway, all of that is pretty irrevalent. My suggestion is too look at Astras, The lower spec ones obviously, I bet you could pick one up for around £1000 and the insurance is suprisingly cheap, on par with many of the popular small hatchbacks and cheaper than most too.

And yeh, like everyone else has said, pick out a few cars of similar spec and get pratice quotes on them all before you go out shopping. It may be time consuming, but i had around 400 pounds difference between a 1.2 micra, and a 1.2 clio.

I wouldnt worry about the engine size, your not gonna get a nice 306 for under a grand! 306's are not that high on the insurance either, my 1.6 306 is a group 5 and the 1.4 is group 4 insurance I believe.

Yeah tic's right theyre a pretty cheap car to insure.

ive had quotes as little as £1500 fully comp for my 1.9td without pass plus and im 17 firts time driver.

id reccomend liverpoolvictoria and tesco