Trials To Moto Trials..

Sparks!

Hey, I've been getting interested in moto trials lately but can't afford the bike yet so have started on my push bike type.. just wondered if the techniques and skills are relatively similar, only with an engine instead of peddling? I ride motorbikes so riding a trials bike will be easy in terms of actually riding but would the trials skills be the same for moto trials as it is on the push bike? I know it won't be exactly the same but hopefully you can see kinda what I'm getting at...

thanks.

I found that general bike handling skills were definately imroved by doing biketrials although i took up moto trials after 7yrs of biketrials and simply couldn't get on with it, for starters i kept pulling the bloody clutch in as a natural reaction thinking it was the back brake! i had a go for a year and had alot of fun but in the end, biketrials it was for me. (Y)

Best of luck mate...

Edited by TomNewbold

Hi, I ride moto bike trials and found that bike trials helped a lot with the motor bike and visa versa.

I just found that balancing was allot easier and so was step because i felt confident on the back wheel.

I think any bike sport you do will always help with the other you do if you get me.

What power (cc), what year and what make of motor bike are you looking for and how much are you looking to spend?

Good luck with finding a bike though, Allen.

Hi thanks for replies..

I'm glad you've mentioned that it helps with general bike skills too as one of the reasons I want a moto trials bike is to get more confident/ride more often to imrpove my stunt riding on the CBR600.. also because I'm enjoying it on the push bike so thought the moto would be just as fun..

Bike wise I'll probably be looking at a 2nd hand, 250 i think? not really looked into it too much, a few friends have said I could get a decent second hand starter bike for about £1000-£1500, id prefer not to spend more than a grand but not sure what can be got for that... realistically im not going to be able to afford one for a few months anyway :( but was going to maybe rent one to see what its like or something.

2nd hand, 1000-1500 will get you a very good condition and running Montesa 315R (look for 98/99 models for that money). You will save money in the long run (as a starter bike) then buying something in the 2001ish region. Dont be tempted to go for that 'good condition 2004 montesa 1200 ono' advert, because chances are it'll have been abused to death.

Through out 98-2004 the montesa appearence didnt change much at all, nore did the parts. Which means although you own a 98 mont, you can still fit 2004 parts, which makes it very cheap and effective.

Although, if you were to get the 98 model (which I owned once upon a time before a Sherco) you cannot go wrong at ALL. The bikes are fecking bulletproof.

Although everybike has its faults, the montesa for example...shit brakes and shit back wheel. With a bit of investment you can make a 98/99 model look and ride like a 2004 model, with not too much hassle.

When you look for bikes, depending on your age/knowledge, take someone along with you who knows there stuff. If the seller is young, dont let it put you off, but do ask questions surrounding basic maintence...eg. Can i see the air filter? (it'll be obvious if its cleaned regularly), when did it have new chain/sproket? What gear oil does it take (if they urmm and ahhh or say 'dont know' they probably havent changed it), ask to see receipts of any parts/oils..

and finally, one from experience. Went to view a gas gas in Lincon about a year ago...the guy selling it stuck a big 'REPSOL' sticker right across the frame, looked very out of place...the reason? Hiding a crack the size of morbidly obease, 50 year old hookers vagina. So just be careful.

2nd hand, 1000-1500 will get you a very good condition and running Montesa 315R (look for 98/99 models for that money). You will save money in the long run (as a starter bike) then buying something in the 2001ish region. Dont be tempted to go for that 'good condition 2004 montesa 1200 ono' advert, because chances are it'll have been abused to death.

Through out 98-2004 the montesa appearence didnt change much at all, nore did the parts. Which means although you own a 98 mont, you can still fit 2004 parts, which makes it very cheap and effective.

Although, if you were to get the 98 model (which I owned once upon a time before a Sherco) you cannot go wrong at ALL. The bikes are fecking bulletproof.

Although everybike has its faults, the montesa for example...shit brakes and shit back wheel. With a bit of investment you can make a 98/99 model look and ride like a 2004 model, with not too much hassle.

When you look for bikes, depending on your age/knowledge, take someone along with you who knows there stuff. If the seller is young, dont let it put you off, but do ask questions surrounding basic maintence...eg. Can i see the air filter? (it'll be obvious if its cleaned regularly), when did it have new chain/sproket? What gear oil does it take (if they urmm and ahhh or say 'dont know' they probably havent changed it), ask to see receipts of any parts/oils..

and finally, one from experience. Went to view a gas gas in Lincon about a year ago...the guy selling it stuck a big 'REPSOL' sticker right across the frame, looked very out of place...the reason? Hiding a crack the size of morbidly obease, 50 year old hookers vagina. So just be careful.

Anzo

I am in the market for a moto trials bike at the moment and your advice here will come in most useful. I was looking at a 1998 Gas Gas for £500. I know you don't get much for that and it will need work but I now know the questions to ask!

Anzo

I am in the market for a moto trials bike at the moment and your advice here will come in most useful. I was looking at a 1998 Gas Gas for £500. I know you don't get much for that and it will need work but I now know the questions to ask!

:D Glad to help.

On that note, make sure to ask how long they've had the bike and what oil to fuel ratio they us. If its been used for say a 3 months and he doesn't know the ratio...avoid it, because more than likely they haven't used any, and if they haven't used that not only will it run (eventually) like a bag of toss, but god knows what else they haven't got round to doing.

Other maintence questions would be;

When were the tyres changed?

When was the spark plug changed/what spark plug does it run?

When was the carb cleaned (most people its once a month)

When was the air filter cleaned (usually once a week, or after a comp. Also check INSIDE the airbox)

When was the silencer packaging changed? (usually once a year, it does make a difference!)

When was the suspension fluid changed? (usually once or twice a year)

When were the brake pads changed? (usually twice a year, depending on use)

When were the hub bearings replaced? (usually twice a year, depending on use)

How old are the fork seals (good incidation to if it has been used, normally when still for a few months, they tend to leak, but when regularly ridden can normally last about a year)

Has the engine ever been dismantled?

What use has the bike had? (eg. Novice, youth, expert)...Higher the ranking, more abuse its had, but better more frequent maintence...its a 50/50 thing.

Check the frame number plate, if you cant find one...avoid...if its been altered...avoid, if hes got no proof of purchase, be careful. Also, check, not obviously but discreetly, look for a postcode on the frame. Usually they are stamped onto them...but not always.

Good luck :)

:D Glad to help.

On that note, make sure to ask how long they've had the bike and what oil to fuel ratio they us. If its been used for say a 3 months and he doesn't know the ratio...avoid it, because more than likely they haven't used any, and if they haven't used that not only will it run (eventually) like a bag of toss, but god knows what else they haven't got round to doing.

Other maintence questions would be;

When were the tyres changed?

When was the spark plug changed/what spark plug does it run?

When was the carb cleaned (most people its once a month)

When was the air filter cleaned (usually once a week, or after a comp. Also check INSIDE the airbox)

When was the silencer packaging changed? (usually once a year, it does make a difference!)

When was the suspension fluid changed? (usually once or twice a year)

When were the brake pads changed? (usually twice a year, depending on use)

When were the hub bearings replaced? (usually twice a year, depending on use)

How old are the fork seals (good incidation to if it has been used, normally when still for a few months, they tend to leak, but when regularly ridden can normally last about a year)

Has the engine ever been dismantled?

What use has the bike had? (eg. Novice, youth, expert)...Higher the ranking, more abuse its had, but better more frequent maintence...its a 50/50 thing.

Check the frame number plate, if you cant find one...avoid...if its been altered...avoid, if hes got no proof of purchase, be careful. Also, check, not obviously but discreetly, look for a postcode on the frame. Usually they are stamped onto them...but not always.

Good luck :)

Anzo

Thanks for the info, it will come in most useful not only for me but for other forum users. It also gives me an idea of what I should be doing when I get hold of one. B)

Cheers (Y)