Tyre And Wheel Sizes, Confused!

RichardS

Hi,

This is my first post so please be gentle with me :$

I've just bought my lad a used Saracen 2 Zero MAD (if that makes a difference??).

It needs new tyres (they're bald and the rear one keeps popping off) and thought I'd ask for some advice.

Which should I buy (He's only 9 so I guess the cheapest? but is that wise?)

What should I expect to pay ?

Any advice on where to buy them (Cos we're new to this I'm a tad uncomfortable buying unseen from the Internet - we're between Leeds and Bradford, West Yorks) ?

The current tyres say 20 inch but someone told me we need 19inch on the rear. Cos the current tyre is 20 inch should I buy a new 20 or a 19 ? Do I need to measure the rims somehow ?

The widths seem odd, the bike has 2.125 on the front and 2.25 on the rear. Are these standard sizes ? If I can't/don't match these widths, what do you recommend I go for and would I need new inner tubes ?

Any help/advice appreciated.

Thanks, Richard.

try halfords mate. they will tell you what ones you need but i expect it will be 20'' ones. i think they are about £10 each but not 100% sure. ill look next time im at work. im going there at about 6 so ill post a reply and let you know what you need when i get home.

ok here goes, welcome to the forum mate you made a perfect first post.

i hope my information is of help to you.

i currently ride a mod bike (20" wheels like your sons)

http://82.110.105.16/tartybikes.co.uk/product.php?id=269 in this link there should be a creepy crawler tyre they are really good price and a lot of riders use them.

they are 2.5 inches wide which should be fine BUT best bet is on the website link i gave you phone them up (tartybikes) they are one of the best shops i always phone them with my quesries they are hapy to help with anything even if you arent buying from them.

there is a front creepy crawler available to which should be fine (its on the website also)

my email address is mike_2124@hotmail.com and if you have any problems just add me.

I ride a stock bike (26 inch wheels) so I'm not 100% sure but it sounds like you have a mod trials bike. If this is the case then I believe that you will require a 19inch rear and a 20inch front. If the rear is 20inch at the moment then mayby thats why it pops off.

Hope this helps (Y)

Hi,

This is my first post so please be gentle with me :$

I've just bought my lad a used Saracen 2 Zero MAD (if that makes a difference??).

It needs new tyres (they're bald and the rear one keeps popping off) and thought I'd ask for some advice.

Which should I buy (He's only 9 so I guess the cheapest? but is that wise?)

What should I expect to pay ?

Any advice on where to buy them (Cos we're new to this I'm a tad uncomfortable buying unseen from the Internet - we're between Leeds and Bradford, West Yorks) ?

The current tyres say 20 inch but someone told me we need 19inch on the rear. Cos the current tyre is 20 inch should I buy a new 20 or a 19 ? Do I need to measure the rims somehow ?

The widths seem odd, the bike has 2.125 on the front and 2.25 on the rear. Are these standard sizes ? If I can't/don't match these widths, what do you recommend I go for and would I need new inner tubes ?

Any help/advice appreciated.

Thanks, Richard.

My mate has that bike and the tyre to buy to fit that is an onza sticky finger 20"x2.4" you can buy them from www.trialsshop.co.uk and cost around £13

You will need 20" front AND rear tyres as the saracen mods have front and rear 20" wheels,you could always get a creepy crawler for the front and a onza sticky fingers for the back,i know they do 20" rear tyres in 2.4 :)

zoo baby!

You will need 20" front AND rear tyres as the saracen mods have front and rear 20" wheels,you could always get a creepy crawler for the front and a onza sticky fingers for the back,i know they do 20" rear tyres in 2.4 :)

zoo baby!

Sorry If I misled anyone - I didn't know saracen mods have 20inch front and rear. Mods nearly always have 19inch rear don't they?

Sorry If I misled anyone - I didn't know saracen mods have 20inch front and rear. Mods nearly always have 19inch rear don't they?

Most mods do,but cheaper bikes have 20" rear wheels,my da bomb school had one so i had to get a 20" sticky fingers tyre,after trying to fit a creepy crawler 19" and finding out it didn't fit...DOH!

Also onza t-vee's have 20" rear wheels,you can tell if a bike has a 19" rear wheel or not because the tyre will look really big and fat/beefy.

zoo baby!

it would be better if you could match them because thats why the company have put those tyres on.

by this i mean that only the sizes have to be matched they dont have to be sarazen tyres or whatever they can be a different brand if you want. hope that made sense.

you will need a 20inch 2.0 front tyre

and a 20inch 2.25 rear tyre.

just go to your local bike shop and tell them that and they should be able to sort you out.

cheers

DOM

Edited by domonza

Right mate lets sort you out.

What you are going to need is:

Rear tyre - 20 inch 2.4 maxxis max daddy or onza stickey finger, its your choice.

Front tyre - 20 inch 2.25 maxxis creepy crawler or you could just go for a onza stickey finger or maxxis maxx daddy.

Your choice matey.

Any questions add me on msn : trials-monkey@hotmail.co.uk

Cheers !

WOW, LOL

I really can't believe the amount of replies I got.

You've given me plenty to be going with.

I'm sure I can sort my lad from this.

If I need anything else, theres clearly plenty of help even calling tartybikes (love the name!!).

Thank you all.

Hi all,

Thanks for all the advice.

Clearly there's confusion with the wider tyres and rim sizes especially 'cos I wasn't sure if the rims were original (bought the bike second hand).

"When is a 20 inch not a 20 inch ? - When its a wide 20 inch!!!!"

So I decided to visit my local(ish) shop at the weekend.

After a few visits (in the end with the rim in my hand) we established that (as many of you said) the 20x2.5 Creepy would definitely not go on so we went for Max Daddies.

My lad is happy and my wallet not depleted.

Thanks again.