Base Ta26 Owners/riders - In Here Please

bEavoLa

quick question guys:

what's the biggest rim you've managed to get in the TA26 frame using HS33s with Evo mounts and Zoo pads (or similar)?

the frame in question has got an EX721 currently, but wanted some other options as the rim won't be coming with the bike when i buy it.

cheers

Ronnie with Heatsink cnc pads in my Base and it fited easy, they will easily take 38ml rim with out a doubt but any bigger 38ml i'm 100% it won't fit. My Heatsink cnc pads with red material when they was brand new and they were i very tight sqeeze and only had like 2ml gap each side and my rim was buckled up to f**k.

But you will easily fit a 38ml wide rim like a Ronnie, Echo Cnc rim wth Zoo pads or Plaz or what ever.

Mine was fine with the old big heatsink pads and a ronnie rim.

Ive seen people running koxx rims before but no idea what pads.

Plazmatic's and a koxx rim will fit... i was thinking of getting a koxx rim before my ronnie so i tried it out with a block of wood that was 50mm wide to be on the safe side and i had enough room to set my brake up properly.

Plazmatic's and a koxx rim will fit... i was thinking of getting a koxx rim before my ronnie so i tried it out with a block of wood that was 50mm wide to be on the safe side and i had enough room to set my brake up properly.

now why didn't i think of that! brilliantly simple!

thanks guys - much appriciated

They're designed as disc only but you can get a magura to work if you grind a braking surface onto it.

that's savage :) bet the breaking surface wouldnt have that much surface though, i run a ronnie which heatsink blues in plastic backing there still brandnew and fit with a fair bit of room ithier side (Y)

Edited by Snowy

that's savage :) bet the breaking surface wouldnt have that much surface though, i run a ronnie which heatsink blues in plastic backing there still brandnew and fit with a fair bit of room ithier side (Y)

I've got a Ronnie on at the mo; I managed to get my HS33 with Evos ALMOST right, but it was difficult. Not stellar.

Oh, and Forget It with V-brakes.

I'm still heading for something thinner anyway, my Ronnie's on it's last legs.

I've got a Ronnie on at the mo; I managed to get my HS33 with Evos ALMOST right, but it was difficult. Not stellar.

Oh, and Forget It with V-brakes.

I'm still heading for something thinner anyway, my Ronnie's on it's last legs.

I'm pretty sure if you saw the state of my ronnie you'd see yours is still fine. Hell mines fine at the minute... it'll last me a little while yet :D

4 cracks, 12 dents, 2 3 inch long dents, one flatspot, one sticking out piece of rim surface where it snapped :blink:

Mine was fine with the old big heatsink pads and a ronnie rim.

Ive seen people running koxx rims before but no idea what pads.

I had a koxx rim in my Base (Y)

The brake can be a little tricky to set up but its possible, however I doubt you will get fresh pads in their being as you won't get the magura cylinders out far enough, I was running half worn Koxx brown pads and it only just worked. Also the other problem with running the Koxx rim was that the wheel has to be perfectly true all the time, if it buckles the slightest bit the tyre would rub on the frame (I was running a 2.5 Michelin hot s).

Hope that is of some help

Dan.

I'm pretty sure if you saw the state of my ronnie you'd see yours is still fine. Hell mines fine at the minute... it'll last me a little while yet :D

4 cracks, 12 dents, 2 3 inch long dents, one flatspot, one sticking out piece of rim surface where it snapped :blink:

Ah, but was your 32h rim laced to a 36h hub by a complete imbecile who can't even get the spokes pointing the right way? And then ridden hard for a while? >_<

It's not so much that the rim is battered, more that I don't think I'll ever get it properly true in the up/down direction.

In related news my rear V is now...erm, working with the Ronnie (but not very well) after swapping the pads for some crap I had lying around that are thinner than the heatsinks I had on. So it's possible if you can find thin enough pads (or wear a set down with a belt sander).

Kris your rim is hardley f**ked, yeah ... it does have like 12 dents and the sidewall is cracked but you say it's mashed when it's still in rideable condition, so i would say it's not totaly mashed. My Ronnie is mashed up to the max 2 Big flatspots so bad that my tire keeps popping of and rubbing the pads like i don't know what ... but meh, guess i'll have to get a new rim soon.

Kris your Ronnie is fineeee :)

Edited by Ben Geary

Ah, but was your 32h rim laced to a 36h hub by a complete imbecile who can't even get the spokes pointing the right way? And then ridden hard for a while? >_<

It's not so much that the rim is battered, more that I don't think I'll ever get it properly true in the up/down direction.

In related news my rear V is now...erm, working with the Ronnie (but not very well) after swapping the pads for some crap I had lying around that are thinner than the heatsinks I had on. So it's possible if you can find thin enough pads (or wear a set down with a belt sander).

Nah, mines a 32 hole on a 32 hole hub.... unlucky on yours though :ermm:

Kris your rim is hardley f**ked, yeah ... it does have like 12 dents and the sidewall is cracked but you say it's mashed when it's still in rideable condition, so i would say it's not totaly mashed. My Ronnie is mashed up to the max 2 Big flatspots so bad that my tire keeps popping of and rubbing the pads like i don't know what ... but meh, guess i'll have to get a new rim soon.

Kris your Ronnie is fineeee :)

:huh: Did you even read it? :lol:

Yours isn't even really a flat spot, i have gotten flatspots that size out of a rim before.. they're so small even you could do it, check out the sheldon brown website mate ;)

Good to see / read so many Base owners . As for my unhelpful contribution : I've only ever run Mavic D-521s in mine . :$

that Silver&Blue Base of yours may just be THE most colour-co-ordinated bike i've ever seen! the pic almost looked photoshopped (though i know it's not!)

thanks to everyone who replied - i'm currently looking at either a drilled Ronnie, a Halo Combat or a DMR DeeVee (i know the last 2 aren't exactly 'trials spec' but they do meet the criteria and aren't MEGA heavy - unlike an undrilled Ronnie which is the heaviest rim that i could find)

sadly, there's not much stock of Halo or DMR parts in the USofA (goddamnit!) :angry: , so it may be the Ronnie after all...

many thanks (Y)