Spraying Frames

punk_rider

About £10 - £15 pounds depending on which paint you buy. As you need primer, the paint and laquer.

That is if you are doing it yourself. I did it myself and found it very easy although I did run out of paint so the bars and forks don't look great but it is easy if you only want one colour.

Edited by unicycle boy

You could try to spray it yourself the paint will cost around £15 - £30 i think for 3 cans (from halfords), you need the Primer (under coat), then you need the actual colour and then the finish.

The primer takes 24 hours to dry and the others im not sure about. Just don't forget the finish! (like i did and it all scratched off really easily)

Or you could take it in somewhere to get sprayed, not sure how much it costs or who does it though.

Edited by RatherGood

done by a pro won't be much i think it'd cost about £40 tops for powder coating and about £30 for a car body shop to spray it up as they would probably try and get it in with something else like a part ;) but this would be unlikely if your after a bit of a random colour

Me and my mate both got our frames powder coated it was 35 quid per frame, we looked a load of colour chips to choose, there are alot of different coloured powders available, but you can have almost any colour painted.

According to the guy who did the powder coating and also does painting, powder coating gives a much harder and longer lasting finish and is much better for bike frames, and if you were to paint it then it would probably need a clear powder over the top.

The frames looked really good afterwards, but my mate said that his bike felt noticably heavier, and when he chipped some powder it was clear that his frame had alot of powder on.

So what i'm trying to say is that according to an expert powder is better, but also have a chat with whoever is doing it to see how much heavier it wil make the bike, on a trials bike paint might be better even if the finish is not quite as good.

Sorry if i've rambled,

Bob

Edited by bikerbob

i done my frame yesterday, looks great now, im glad i sprayed it, altogether it cost me £25 for enough paint to spray my frame, the forks, and the stem

all together i had 2 medium cans of paint, 2 medium cans of laquer and 1 medim can of laquer

all with at leaset 2-3 coats of each.

HAVE A LOOK

thanks

John Kan the china man

When I sprayed my frame myself, it cost me around £22 for all the stuff. (Might have included discount?)

This being Nitromors (Paint stripper), 1 can of primer, 2 cans of the paint, and 1 big can of Clear Lacquer.

All from Halfords. B)

'Tis good stuff. (Y)

well me and my mate sprayed my jump frame,, i bought a large tin of prima and laquer so that was £12 with both of them. and the paint was half a litre of metallic custom paint - british racing green, that was £15.

3 coats of everything, sorted.

or on the other hand, ring up local anodisers and my quote was around £25/30.

Also there is bead blasting which is around £20 for me but people say it weakens your frame as it is raped with summert for a certain effect for them to actually coat it :S correct me if i am wrong please

(Y)