How To Fit A Bottombracket

Keniii...

I was recently fitting my friends bottom bracket as he didn’t know how to do it him self, so I thought id put a guide up on here for all those who need help fitting it! (Which I’m sure there are a few)

You will need:

8mm Allen key

Loads of Grease

Splined BB tool

Crank puller

Large spanner (adjustable)

Ok, here it goes…

1. Take crank arms off. Using the 8mm Allen key. Take your crank puller and apply a small amount of grease on the threads, as this will help to not strip the threads inside. Screw in the crank puller and turn clockwise. Slowly the crank will start to come off. You need to do this on both sides.

2. Now to taking out the Bottom Bracket. Start on the Non-Drive side (Which is the left side) you need to but your BB tool into the located positions. Once in make sure you hold the tool in position whilst turning it Anti-clockwise.

3. Now you need to take of the Drive side (Which is the Right side). Do exactly the same before making sure the tool doesn’t slip off. This time it you need to turn it clockwise….

4. Once removed you need to degrease/Clean the threads make sure there’s no dirt what so ever. This is because the dirt might damage your threads.

5. Now apply LOTS of grease (This may get a little messy). Now comes to fitting your new bottom bracket. Start with the Non-Drive side cup (Left side). Screw it in Clockwise, using your fingers, as it shouldn’t be that hard.

6. Now its time for the Drive side. This needs to be screwed in Anti-Clockwise into the frame. Again using your fingers.

7. Now you need to tighten it all up (Using your BB tool and Spanner). Do each side in turn. So tighten left-side two rotations and the right-side two. As the cups get closer to the frame you will not need to turn it that much. Now check it’s all tight and flush against the frame.

8. Finally attach you crank arms. You can put a light smear of grease on the Bb axle and on the Crank bolts. Then clean it all up. Pack your tools away and enjoy a non-creaking, smooth Bb.

If your Bb is creaking on your first ride this maybe because you need to 'face' your Bb shell. Any Good Bike store can do this.

Hope it helps.(Y)

Very good giude, however one tip which i reckon i need to add because it can make everything so much easier is that:

If after a couple of attempts at removing your bb it won't shift then put the tool vertically in a vice and pllace the bike onto the tool. This allows you to apply pressure to the tool with one hand whilts using the bike as a lever with the other hand. Be careful though because if you do need to use this method the bb is probably siezed in and taking it out quickly may damage the threads.

Good idea to add these kind of things though before somebody actually has a problem because it can save alot of time.

Bob

I was recently fitting my friends bottom bracket as he didn't know how to do it him self, so I thought id put a guide up on here for all those who need help fitting it! (Which I'm sure there are a few)

You will need:

8mm Allen key

Loads of Grease

Splined BB tool

Crank puller

Large spanner (adjustable)

Ok, here it goes…

1. Take crank arms off. Using the 8mm Allen key. Take your crank puller and apply a small amount of grease on the threads, as this will help to not strip the threads inside. Screw in the crank puller and turn clockwise. Slowly the crank will start to come off. You need to do this on both sides.

2. Now to taking out the Bottom Bracket. Start on the Non-Drive side (Which is the left side) you need to but your BB tool into the located positions. Once in make sure you hold the tool in position whilst turning it Anti-clockwise.

3. Now you need to take of the Drive side (Which is the Right side). Do exactly the same before making sure the tool doesn't slip off. This time it you need to turn it clockwise….

4. Once removed you need to degrease/Clean the threads make sure there's no dirt what so ever. This is because the dirt might damage your threads.

5. Now apply LOTS of grease (This may get a little messy). Now comes to fitting your new bottom bracket. Start with the Non-Drive side cup (Left side). Screw it in Clockwise, using your fingers, as it shouldn't be that hard.

6. Now its time for the Drive side. This needs to be screwed in Anti-Clockwise into the frame. Again using your fingers.

7. Now you need to tighten it all up (Using your BB tool and Spanner). Do each side in turn. So tighten left-side two rotations and the right-side two. As the cups get closer to the frame you will not need to turn it that much. Now check it's all tight and flush against the frame.

8. Finally attach you crank arms. You can put a light smear of grease on the Bb axle and on the Crank bolts. Then clean it all up. Pack your tools away and enjoy a non-creaking, smooth Bb.

If your Bb is creaking on your first ride this maybe because you need to 'face' your Bb shell. Any Good Bike store can do this.

Hope it helps. (Y)

The creaking's often due to not-lubed tapers/interfaces with your cranks more than the BB not being faced (Y) It only really seems to be with external bearing'd BBs that the facing becomes an issue, as 'regular' BBs tend to just sit there and do their job pretty well. Because you only need half-decent tolerances on the drive-side of the BB, they usually work out OK (Y)