Need Perfect Instructions On Helicoiling

3rider3

• 4 months later...

The helicoil kits usualy include the actual inserts themselves, the tool for inserting them, and the tap used.

You won't need a die as they are used for putting threads on the outside of a rod, not inside wholes.

What you need to do is to:

• drill the current mounts out with a 5.2mm drill bit as said above.
  • tap it out with the tap included in the helicoil kit (not a normal m6 tap, as a standard m6 tap has a 1mm pitch, not the 0.8mm you need).
  • screw the helicoil insert into the newley threaded whole with the tool included in the kit.
  • Cut the insert off to the correct length if it is too long.
The kit should have instructions in/on it anyway, and if all else fails, just google it.

Why the helicoil?, why not just drill and tap to 6mm? we use helicoils sometimes at work but only when the hole cannot possibly house a bigger bolt/stud.and being where it is on the bike is under massive stresses, we only really use them for things like spark plug holes

Also i believe that you need a bottoming tap (im not an engineer though')so that the threads run right to the bottom of the hole as the 4-bolt mounts are only fairly shallow.

If i were you i would order off your local engineers supply shop rather than ebay as they can give proper advice also rather than a couple of email answers which if misunderstood could have disasterous results for your frame!!!

Like i say im not an engineer and some people may of had good results this is just my thoughts and experiences

Edited by navara man

That is cool. But i think i can't do any damage to a damaged thread by putting a helicoil in wrong. If that is possible?

Anyway consider this a bump. If no one can provide me with a link to what i exactly need then i will just have to post my own topic in a better place. :P

:lol:

• 3 months later...
Thanks that's what i needed to know.

So all i need is

1 helicoil kit

1 5.2mm drill bit

1 hour of patience

So does anybody have a link to a product and shop they have used recently so i don't end up with the wrong thing.

Thanks

wti fasteners ltd, you get the drill bit included, tap, 10 inserts, tang break tool,

• 3 months later...
im not getting it helicoiled now, we couldnt find anywhere in trowbridge which does helicoiling so took it to lbs getting it tapped to next size up and just driling mounts to fit bigger bolt down. (Y)

thats what i have always did before i could helicoil mate and i had no problems!

helicoiling isnt that much of a hard task and once you have got it down its not a long/hard job!

If you cant find it local, buy it off the net!