My New Eno

A!!

After a while of debating at which freewheel was the best buy, my choice was out of: eno, tensile and the new try-all. After looking and reading about all the freewheels in performance, reliability and build quality, i decided the eno was the best for me. Although the try-all was tempting with the large amount of engagements(108), i just felt i would prefer to see more reviews on it, and wait a month or two, to see how they were holding up.

After receiving my eno at about 2'o'clock today, i had a look through some guides and write-ups on changing freewheels and taking the pedal arms off. I felt i would be able to put it on myself :rolleyes: . Well after another hour of buggering about trying to remove the pedal arm, i realised i was defeated, even though many people can change them their selfs, my lack of tools and experience weren't helping the situation :(

So off i went down to our lbs (halfords in stamford). I took my GU to the cycle section for the guys to try and change it there for me. After getting the pedal arm off with minimal trouble, i and they were ready for the dreaded bit, removing the very stubborn acs.

After the staff tried many different methods, it still wouldn't come off, so as a last attempt they put the freewheel in a vice and cracked the outer casing and dismantled it so that it would be easy to get a grip on the freewheel to remove it. Finally the acs was off and the new eno on in no time.

Well after my long winded story i did get a bit of a ride on a few pallets (enough time to realise how awesome the eno is). It helps a lot with tight run ups (which i had problems doing) and gaps, due to the larger amount of engagements being 72.

As well as the eno helping with general trials riding, it feels incredibly strong and well built (makes an acs look and feel cheese like).

So if in doubt of which freewheel to buy, which has become a harder choice with the new freewheels being released, with out a doubt i would say get an eno (Y)

Edited by huck_it

Ye i was wondering when they told me how they were going to remove it (by cracking the acs), if it was going to end in tears haha. But it was all good and the guys they were very helpful, and both of them did a bit of trials.

So far though it does feel really smooth, well built and strong, i just cant wait for tomorrow to have a good ride on it :D.

But then i have only ever used acs freewheels until now, so the eno obviously will feel great, as it is all i have got to compare it against.

It also helps knowing that spares are easily available for them through most trials shops like tartybikes. So in a way it does kind of justify paying that amount of money for an eno, or thats the way i look at it :P .

Next time, tell them just to bolt the freewheel remover tool to the freewheel + crank arm, clamp the crank arm in a vice, then use an adjustable and a really, really long extension bar to turn it off. That technique has never failed me :) I hope you greased up your Eno threads before you put it on though to avoid any trouble in future :P

Cool review too. Just make sure that after a few weeks you strip it and clean out the inside just to get rid of the grease that'll come out of the bearings. There's a thread in the FAQ section of Trials Chat to help you :)

I've been using the Tensile 96 click freewheel, and to be honest I haven't really found I "need" the extra clicks, so I don't think you've "missed out" on the Try-All or whatever. After 60 clicks or so it's all pretty samey - a tiny amount of preload will mean you'll have near enough instant engagement anyway, so having more clicks doesn't really mean much to be honest. I'd rather have a slightly deeper ratchet and fewer clicks than a shallow ratchet just to up the clicks, to be honest.

That was one of the problems we had, it seemed as if when the acs was first put on the thread hadn't been greased properly and were put on pretty much dry, as i haven't had the acs on long, and it was never ridden in really wet conditions, so there should of been some signs of grease on it :S . This time though i made sure they had greased the threads before they put it on (Y)

Ye i read somewhere about the difference in engagements over the tensile or eno, that it wasn't really noticable. So having 72 engagements will do me fine, as its no sacrificing strength.

Edited by huck_it

Yeah, Eno driveshells are pretty darn thick, and they're stable on the freewheel body so the load's well spread, so it's all good :) The lockring may come loose once or twice when it's new, but if you just tighten it properly it seems to just not do it after (Y)

I think with the enos are they will work perfectly are trouble free, as long as they are look after well and maintained. Like just checking the lockring from when it's new incase it works its way loose, and cleaning out the old grease after a while to stop it skipping, which reduces the life of it.

Next time, tell them just to bolt the freewheel remover tool to the freewheel + crank arm, clamp the crank arm in a vice, then use an adjustable and a really, really long extension bar to turn it off. That technique has never failed me :) I hope you greased up your Eno threads before you put it on though to avoid any trouble in future :P

Cool review too. Just make sure that after a few weeks you strip it and clean out the inside just to get rid of the grease that'll come out of the bearings. There's a thread in the FAQ section of Trials Chat to help you :)

I've been using the Tensile 96 click freewheel, and to be honest I haven't really found I "need" the extra clicks, so I don't think you've "missed out" on the Try-All or whatever. After 60 clicks or so it's all pretty samey - a tiny amount of preload will mean you'll have near enough instant engagement anyway, so having more clicks doesn't really mean much to be honest. I'd rather have a slightly deeper ratchet and fewer clicks than a shallow ratchet just to up the clicks, to be honest.

must fail alot for them, they tried that with my crank arm + acs, they just don't give a tits around here, me and my dad eventually got it off with a good ol' hammer and chizzle.

Yeah, Eno driveshells are pretty darn thick, and they're stable on the freewheel body so the load's well spread, so it's all good :)The lockring may come loose once or twice when it's new, but if you just tighten it properly it seems to just not do it after (Y)

Mark you full well know that is impossiable, its sealed bearing.

I have not known one to loosen yet.

Dan.

lucky for you you got your freewheel off fairly easily i wet to 4 bike shops and not one could remove my old shimano on so i#I went round my Dads mates house and he got out his welding gun and heated it for about 15mins then put a big iron bar in a slot the smacked it with a hammer which broke a chunk of the iron bar off but made the freewheel loose to get off but the down side was that the plastic carrier bag melted as i was on the way home and the crank arm got cover in plastic it was an experience