Left Cranks Stuck On

monty221pr

well i'm getting a new frame so earlier today i went to strip my frame the only problem i encountered was that the left crank would not come off and the threads that are used to put on the crank puller all stripped so i ended up taking it out as a two piece and my BB is also quite different to any i have seen before :huh:

so does anyone know a good way of getting it off i've tryed carb cleaner and should i just try thin penetrating oils and a massive hammer. :shifty:

Edited by monty221pr

take your pedal off and lay your bike down and then put a old spanner crank bolt in the bb so it comes out bout 8 mm more then the crank. lift the rear end of the bike in the air by holding the bottom of the crank and then hit the crank bolt with a mallet. this should work for you it has me every time (Y) as long as theirs a decent amount of the crank bolt in it will be fine

cheers padarik

Well if you tried a crank puller, ehm I guess you could try taking it out with the BB (some BBs can be removed with one crank still on) if you have pinch bolts, wich I highly doubt if you used a crank puller and don't seem to have 3-piece cranks, you could try prying the "pinch slot" bigger, with a big flat head screw driver. If I understand what your'e saying correctly, you stripped your cranks. So you can't use them again I guess, so you could cut a horrizontal line across the crank. Then they could be removed easly with a mallet and save your BB from possible damage, if you remember not to cut to deep. Else, giver' with a mallet and penetrating oil...

Good luck, Louis.

crank removing tool from tartybikes or some where (Y) or even give it a few smacks with a hammer or something :-

thats what i did when i lent my tool out to my mate and it seemed to work :P

:rtt: He said he has stripped the threads what it screws on to! :rtt:

READ THE THREAD!

Edited by trial-biker-ryan

if the rest of the bike is still on (which i dont think it is, but for next time) you can do up your crank bolt fully, then undo it half to a full turn, then ride around do a few backhops or something, then undo ur bolt fully, whack the inside of ur crank arm with a mallet and it should hopefully come up super duper easy :)