My Echo Forks

dan more

hi just wondering if any one else has had this problem with there echo light forks such as creaking or is it my headset ?or could it be my louise fr disk ripping the forks apart any ideas thank dan

Edited by dan more

hi,

If you hear a creaking in your forks or headset its usually a crack! DON'T RIDE.

you must check for cracks so complelty take off forks and check them. If you don't find a crack it could just be your headset loose or something, also check your disk bolts are tight it may be that your disk has a little bit of movement on the hub mounts? I have a magura luoise fr and i dont think it will rip the forks apart.

this also happens to handlebars they creek... they snap!

seriously check or could be a very nasty accident.

Tim.

Edited by Tim H

Hmmm...

i have the same problem

but my is a monty

monty fork, headset , stem, bar, lousie disk brake

(those are the area which creaks)

i think it might be the stem i m not sure

can anyone help!?!?!?!?

p.s my bike is new and barely used

so i dout its cracked

thanks

Hi,

Its a possibility thats its a crack, have you ever landed harshly on both wheels, had a nasty bail where you put lots of pressure on the forks or bars like dropping off a 6 footer landing on the front wheel and staying on the bike or done somethign stupid with a trials bike like dirt jumping etc etc.

if it creeks check it.

Tim.

Edited by Tim H

yes but are you forks or headset creaking?

A mate of mine (gr8grumble on the forum) had red try-all bars which he said they where creaking a few days before they snapped luckily he wasn't 10 foot up or he could of been in hospital, one of you could be doing a 6 foot gap from 10 foot high... land... forks snap fall of wall...neck snap...dead?

better safe than sorry.

Tim.

just a question when is the creaking sound happening ? if you know when it is then this will give people an understanding of what is happening could simply be a creaking headset for all we know?

cheers padarik

Edited by padarik

My echos creak aswell but i dont have any cracks, they've done it since day one.

Doesn't bother me at all though, i think its just the metal rubbing of metal.

Just put some grease all over the steerer and on the inside of the headset cups, that should sort it (Y)

May just be that the weld where the steerer connects to the fork is messy inside and rubbing as the fork flexes. I gather the headset cups and crown race have a tight fit ? Have seen a couple of frames warranteed for this problem but rare. Perhaps lightly grease around fork where axle connects. Mavic skewers for example are known for creaking at that point. Can you make that creak without using brake ie push against wall ? That could help narrow it down.

• 4 months later...