Hope Spacers

Saracen Kid

Erm.... Yeah! Thats what the spacers are for.

Hope just have lots of smaller ones but they all fit on with one gear.

Gusset single speed kits just come with the two larger spacers.

Take your wheel off the frame. You may need to take out the skewer aswel.

Take down to your local bike shop if you don't have the tools.

You need the tool that looks like a spanner but with a bike chain attached to it and the correct sized BB tool that fit on the end of the freewheel. (i know how to do it, just don't know the names of the tools :$ )

But best take it to a bike shop.

Rob

Yeah, SS in the way to go, I find, less stuff hanging off your bike, less to brake. If you want to do it yourself, tool-wise, you'll need just need a freehub tool, they're really cheap and can find useful for other stuff. Of course you *should* used a chain-whip, but a wrag can do the job. Parts wise, you'll need spacers [i'd suggest the Endless Bike co. fibonacci kit, using the the fibonnacci series you can space any hub within 1mm] and a cog, the wide-base type are preferable since they won't chew up your freehub body. Here's how to do it.

-Take wheel off frame removing the QR, if you have one that is.

-Place the wrag or chain-whip in place.

-Put the "freehub" tool, I don't know the exact name, looks like some BB tools, on top of the axle.

-Take everything a part, remove the cassette.

-Put what a couple of spacers in, put the cog in then put the rest of the spacers in, don't tighten every thing up yet, carefully put the wheel in the drop outs and check if your chain line is straight, it most probably won't, so you'll have to move some spacers around until it's perfect, really perfect.

-Tighten everything up, put the wheel back on and go ride.

Of course, you'll need to shorten the chain (maybe buy a chain-tensionner) remove the derailleur and it's shifter...

• 3 months later...

going singlespeed doesnt stop you busting mech hangers as you nearly always need to run 1 with a tensioner unless you have horizontal dropouts or a perfct tension

yeah i've always ran my jump bike single speed till recently and had horizontal dropouts.

i still think your less likely to bend a hanger with a chain tensioner compared when using a mech.

mech hangers bend too easily, single speed is the only way forward, its easy to do once you got all the tools.

i still use a mech and hanger for singlespeed but im careful with it and also i have a cheap mech but it still fits the fat chain i have through. cheap=good cos all im using is tension (with a short bit of cable in) and can adjust with the cable tension on the mech (so if i do bend the hanger i can bend it back then adjust the mech so i can still ride-as well as having spare mech hangers with me!!)

I put the Hope spacers on my bike when I went single speed, and have had no problems with them since. They've just sat there and done their job :D

The good thing about the Hope spacers compared to the other s/s kits with only 2 spacers is that you'll get more adjustment from the Hope spacers, so you can make smaller adjustments to the chain line in order to get it dead straight.