Help With Windows.

Dan6061

Got my computer today, and it came with Linux Linpus.

I installed all that, and it was asking for a local host log in, and password. :ermm:

I didn't have anything like that (from what I could find) with the PC.

But I wanted Windows anyway.

I've got a boot/restore cd for the computer i'm on now, so I tried that, and it installed windows etc on it, but it wont start up properly.

"blah blah blah...windows has made an error

Start Windows in Safe Mode

Start windows...............

Start windows normally"

I've tried all of those options, and i see a quick flash of a windows xp screen, then it retsrats. :S

I've got an XP Pro boot cd aswell, but that's not doing anything when I try booting it.

It says "Couldn't find NTLDR" - I've made sure that the 1st boot device is the CD-Drive, but i get the same thing... :S

Help? :ermm:

I've got a boot/restore cd for the computer i'm on now, so I tried that, and it installed windows etc on it, but it wont start up properly.

Firstly, i'm pretty sure you wont be able to use this cd on your new computer, as the version of windows it installs is locked to only run on the machine it came with.

've got an XP Pro boot cd aswell

This is the one you need to be using.

Check there are no cards in any memory card readers.

You say your cd drive is the first boot device already... well double check ;) also does your computer have multiple cd drives? put them first and second. remove all other devices except for the cd drives from the list.

if this doesn't work check that the jumper swtches/pins on the back of the drive correctly identify where the drive is connected to the motherboard. ie primary/secondary master/slave

Edited by Extreme_biker0

The computer was bought pre-built...if that's the right term... :ermm:

No multi-drives either, just the one DVD drive.

I've changed the option in BIOS (?) and selected the 1st boot drive to CD-ROM, and saved it.

Started computer again - F12 for Boot screen - Selected 'Boot from CD-ROM' and then got the error message about NTLDR... :(