Wheelbuild

SomeoneNew

Just a quick query! I just built my very first rear wheel and when i spin the wheel in my frame its more or less true but slightly over to the left, its only by about 1 - 2mm. will this make any noticeable difference to the strength?

Ooh also while I remember all the spoke seem to be at different tensions(when I squeeze the X's) is that normal or caused by the dodgy dishing?

it didnt bother me, i had my front wheel dished over to the left for about half a year, but got nagged soo much i had to move it across while waiting in a train station. bastards, that means you adam and hedge end co. lol.

the spokes should feel tighter to the drive side.

just incase you are unaware, your wheel will make creaking and cracking noises for a little bit, that is fine. it is meant to do that. (Y)

that creaking and cracking noise means that the wheel needs pushing out of true and retrueing, then grab parallel sets of spokes and squeeze, this relievsa any tension and initial twist in the sppokes

if im right in thinking its called pre-tensioning

basically, true wheel

push on wheel, you will here it crack and make noises, this is relieveing 'twist' in the spokes

then just nip round and re-true

ash smith

that creaking and cracking noise means that the wheel needs pushing out of true and retrueing, then grab parallel sets of spokes and squeeze, this relievsa any tension and initial twist in the sppokes

if im right in thinking its called pre-tensioning

basically, true wheel

push on wheel, you will here it crack and make noises, this is relieveing 'twist' in the spokes

then just nip round and re-true

ash smith

Andy hill went through this with me last night over msn. Place your wheel on the floor and put your foot on the rim where a pair of spokes cross, none in particular just make sure its where they cross. Then get your other foot and put it on the pair of crossing spokes on the opposite side of the wheel pressing down on it and putting stress on the wheel, dont be gentle with this... really lean, i ended up standing on both sides of the rim and balancing it on the axle end with my entire body weight on each side of the rim so it should take a fair amount of force. Work your way around the wheel doing it at each spoke crossing, then flip the wheel over and repeat on the other side.

Now re-true it and do the standing procedure again.... keep doing this till you can stand on it and not have it buckle at all. You'll now be left with a supremely strong wheelbuild.