Ceramic And Plazmatic Rims.

eskimo

I found most of the information i need now. Just a few more questions that i wonder about.

Are the ceramic rims still available? I want my DX32 to have a ceramic coating!

Plazmatic rims. How much is going to cost? Any links available?

Is the reason my grind sucks because it's to light?

(my spec) DX32 light grind. Coust cnc Pads. HS11 brake. No booster.

Thanks guys.

Edited by eskimo

No one uses Mavic rims because they're too narrow for most people's taste. Ceramic is good, but a grind is better and you can do it on any rim. Also ceramic can chip off easily, and when it's gone, it's gone. Whereas you can always re-grind a rim.

You can put just about anything in Maguras. I've never really had any problems with the proper oil :o People on here bleed their brakes too often. You only need to do it if there's a leak or something, and there really shouldn't be any need to bleed once a month as I'm sure some people seem to be doing! So I would say "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

But to answer your question, water is fine but it has disadvantages in that it can freeze and it probably isn't as good for the brake as putting brake fluid in (Which has lubricating properties as well). Plus it's not as if mineral oil is expensive - one bottle ought to last a lifetime really (see above point!). Advantages - it's cheap, it's always available (even on Sundays when your hose has snapped and there are no bike shops around), it's thinner than most oils so it gives a snappier feel to the brake.

I found most of the information i need now. Just a few more questions that i wonder about.

Are the ceramic rims still available? I want my DX32 to have a ceramic coating!

Plazmatic rims. How much is going to cost? Any links available?

Is the reason my grind sucks because it's to light?

(my spec) DX32 light grind. Coust cnc Pads. HS11 brake. No booster.

Thanks guys.

A booster and a HS33 lever will improve the brake most off all. The HS33 lever has a smaller master piston, so you will get more power (more pressure). You will then need the booster as the brake will cause flex due to the power.

I love my ceramic rim, even if it is a bit narrow. Power AND modulation, and very consistent. runnign with plaz pads, but thinking of changing over winter as they are a bit slippy in the wet.

I personally think this is alod of.... I used a HS11 lever for like 4 months and found no problems and the longer lever gives more power.

the preasure you exert on a hydolic brake isnt proportional to the power output in the same way as cable brakes,

HS33's = Piston diameter brake lever/caliper in mm: 14/2x16 (Y)

HS11's = Piston diameter brake lever/caliper in mm: 16/2x24 (N)

if you then take a look at this

http://science.howstuffworks.com/hydraulic1.htm ;)

you can see that the force you put on the lever has alot less to do with the force exerted on the rim by the brake, its about the ratio in surfice area from the lever piston to the caliper.

its just a fact that hs33's improve your braking in trials, although alot has to do with pads/setup

Edited by Zoo_Monkey

But what Kieron is saying is that the longer level on the HS11 counteracts the fact that you have a larger master piston. Also your maths make no sense at all, what you have said is that the HS11 has more mechanical advantage than the HS33. But the slave pistons are the same on each system anyway, so what you've written is bobbins.

Basically, what anyone needs to know is that the HS33s are better. Although more expensive.

But what Kieron is saying is that the longer level on the HS11 counteracts the fact that you have a larger master piston. Also your maths make no sense at all, what you have said is that the HS11 has more mechanical advantage than the HS33. But the slave pistons are the same on each system anyway, so what you've written is bobbins.

Basically, what anyone needs to know is that the HS33s are better. Although more expensive.

the stuff i posted is straight of the magura site - so i asume is right, the HS33 has more power - thats the way it was desinged

you cant just say the brakes are the same but one is magicaly "better" than the other - there would be no point in magura bringing out different versions if they were the same

its common knowledge that the hs33 has more power than the 11, thats just the way it is. one was designed for touring bikes - the 11. the other for xc the 33

end of