Thinking Of Buying A Car Soon

onzatprodude

hey,

pretty soon i will be looking to buy a car so its ready to start driving when im 17

ive been looking at the minis people tell me that they are amazingly fun cars and cheap with insurance? but over people are sayin that they will fall apart with them being an old car? so if im spending money on the car i dont want to be having to pay for it to get fixed every month!

could some one tell me what to look for and how much i should have to spend if i want a decent car thats going to last a while?

also could you tell me the pros and cons of a mini, and wether i should try and get one, OR if i should think about gettin a different style car? if so what do you advise?

thank you

edit: its the old style mini (austin)

Edited by onzatprodude

if i was you id get revising for your theory, and get your provisional sorted, so when your 17 you'll have it ready.

then after lots of revison for your theory , can do when your 16 obviously book your theory test and get it done and out the way asap.

then get insured on your mums car if possible and drive with her asmuch as possible.

say once a day for 3 weeks then maybe do 10 lessons depending on how well your progressing and take your test.

or, get your provisional a month after your birthday then get a car. then fail your theory get really stressed take 20 lessons, finally pass your theory then fail your test . . .

that was me . .

now cant afford to take my test for a little while so just doing little bits and bobs to it as i get free time.

however if id of get a mini and left it in my drive for a year i doubt it would appreciate it.

dont get me wrong id love one , but im not experienced /have the contatcts to get welding done when needed and dont have the equipment/space to do repairs when needed so went for something a bit more modern.

Mini's are great little cars, fun and will be memorable as a first car. It is also true that there usually pretty cheap to insure, 1 or 1.3 litre engines, and in low insurance groups (with some exepctions, ie cooper, ERA turbo).

If your not prepared to pay out on repairs/ do mintenance yourself (more than a more modern hatch back), it may not be worth your while however. Strictly speaking they are not anymore unreliable than other cars, if kept in good condition- which takes a bit more regular maintanance then newer cars. You also have to accept the fact that many (especially those in your price range as a first car) will be old, and likely have been neglected to a certian extent.

Mechanically, if anything does go wrong its an easy fix compared to a lot of cars, but body work is where minis really fail. they have bad habit of rusting in the english climate, and that is a pain to sort out.

I bought a mini as my first car at 17, couldnt get a licence till 18 (health reasons) and it still hasnt set foot on the road again yet! ive got myself a mk2 golf in the meantime.

Seems your in a similar situation to me, i have sorted my provisional...and booked a lesson for my birthday (7th nov) and have dont a little practice for my theory, im just searching for possible cars at the moment theres no need to buy one until you've passed i dont think.

Jeza

They certainly are not cheap to insure - 998cc Cost me £300 more to insure than 1.3 GT Coupe Polo

Mini isn't the ideal first car, restoring them costs a bit, finding a clean one is rare - personally i'd go for something shite as a first car - fiesta or something.

ive tried puttin in a few different cars in the insurance form thing and the mini came up as being £600 to insure with my dad and was cheaper than a friends saxo and was close to the micra (old 1)

im wanting to buy the car early so i can get everything sorted seen as though its an old car it will proberblys need stuff doing to it

thanks for all help guys