Hope Brake Fluid

bikerider

Dot 4 or Dot 5.1?

And what damage, if any, would Dot 3 do? It's a bit thinner, but the difference is very minimal as far as I can see....

working in the motor vehicle industry, can tell you its nothing to do with the thinness etc, technically 3>4 4>5, 5>5.1 are just upgrades with generally better properties,higher boiling points etc. but the structure of the oil,and its chemical construction, means that a DOT 5 fluid used in a DOT 3 system, although would work, the fluid would eat away at the seals which wernt designed for that fluid. so on and so forth. theres a list on the net somewhere of what fluids will not damage what systems in the automotive industry, will be much the same.

working in the motor vehicle industry, can tell you its nothing to do with the thinness etc, technically 3>4 4>5, 5>5.1 are just upgrades with generally better properties,higher boiling points etc. but the structure of the oil,and its chemical construction, means that a DOT 5 fluid used in a DOT 3 system, although would work, the fluid would eat away at the seals which wernt designed for that fluid. so on and so forth. theres a list on the net somewhere of what fluids will not damage what systems in the automotive industry, will be much the same.

There you have it, just use either 4 or 5.1, It's not all that expensive..

Thanks for replies.

I've bled it through with dot 4 as that's all I could get hold of and it feels OK.

still got lots of bite, but feels kind of 'fuzzy' on the modulation (really couldn't think of a better word to describe it -honest! :lol: )

Looked through handbook, and it DOES recommend 5.1, might re-bleed tomorrow with some.

thanks again (Y)

I use only 5.1, probably doesn't make much of a difference, but for something like brakes (on bike or car) why skimp on it? Even if your so stupidly unlikly to need the benifits, its nice to know there there in reserve kinda thing.

Exactly what I mean by the modulation feeling 'fuzzy'. It IS ok, but it's always in the back of your mind that it's not quite right....

Out of interest, does anyone use the Hope Bleeder kit or is it just a waste of money?

Exactly what I mean by the modulation feeling 'fuzzy'. It IS ok, but it's always in the back of your mind that it's not quite right....

Out of interest, does anyone use the Hope Bleeder kit or is it just a waste of money?

seems a waste of money just use a tube seringe and connect it to the bleed nipple and back fill it thats the best imo or do it the long winded way lever in bleed nipple open, nipple closed lever out and so on

I tried the syringe method before on a mini I think, but I thought the bleed nipples were a one-way valve?

not that i know of i've rebuilt 4 brakes this week and two being hopes and none of them have a one way valve. the easiest way is to bleed from the caliper up.

liam

Edited by Broomer