Next Time You Set Off To Go Riding, Remember Some Of This - Save Yours

modman

To fix a puncture:

1 Release brake calipers, or remove your Magura and then remove the wheel.

2 Use tyre levers, available from bike shops or spoons available from your kitchen to remove the tyre.

3 Carefully run your fingers around the inside of the tyre to check for sharp objects, such as nails, splinters of glass or thorns. Remove the cause of the puncture and check that there are no more spikes in the tyre. If you cannot find anything you may of had a 'pinch flat'.

4 Find the hole in the tube, either by pumping it up and holding it underwater to look for bubbles, or by feeling for escaping air.

5 Mark the hole with pen or chalk. Use sandpaper or the scratcher from the puncture repair kit to scuff the area around the hole to help secure the glue to the tube.

6 Spread glue thinly and evenly over and around the hole and wait for the glue to dry until it feels tacky to touch. Place a patch over the marked hole and apply pressure. (A faster alternative is to use the new glueless patches.)

7 Lightly pump up the tube. Place one edge of the tyre around the wheel rim and push the tube’s valve into the rim’s hole. Starting from the valve, push the rest of the tube into the tyre. Ensure the valve stem is perpendicular to the rim and that the tube isn’t twisted. Once the tube is inside the

tyre, begin to place the second edge of the tyre onto the rim. About 75% of the tyre will go on easily, the rest will need strong fingers or tyre levers to coax it onto the rim. Take care not to pinch and damage the tube. When complete, pump a little more air into the tube and check that the tube isn’t caught between the rim and the tyre.

8 Slide the wheel back into place on the bike and tighten the bolts gradually, ensuring that the wheel remains aligned straight to the frame. Reconnect the brakes.

9 If you are happy with it, fully pump up the tyre. Take the bike on a short ride, and test that the brakes are still set up correctly

Tip: To save me wasting a day i usually carry a spare tube if i am going somewhere where i am not sure if there is a bike shop nearby. Otherwise i carry come money to buy a new tube, and hope that the shop will let me use there tools. If you don't mind carry a bag, bring some tools and spares.

Hope this is helpful to some of you!

Nice guide man you'd be supprised by how many riders cannot sort out a simple thing like a puncture!

If you cannot find anything you may of had a 'pinch flat'.

Slightly disagree i guess i usually think theres something although in trials the most common puncture is probably a pinch flat / blow out........ and usually the tube is pretty wreck up and the tube will have snaked open into a large gouge - this is basically unrepariable......

also check for multiple punchures sometimes you can end up with lots of holes in a cluster arround a thorn where the tube has lifted off the thorn and re-settled itself so usually better to use water becuase its hard to decifer it by ear...... well saying that if you saw chai's tube you would really disagree more patch than tube!!! i never got the hang of it!

so yea if its not as simple as a lil spot puncture dont bother! you can pick tubes up for like 2quid from wilkos!!!

oh an some of the deer 1s cant be fixed because of the rubber..... or summink dont ask me!