Marta Vs Louise, Or Any Other Brakes?

Greetings

Getting myself a mod quite soon and obviously it has to be dual disc. I don't want to spend heaps of money on Hope Trials as those brakes will cost nearly as much as my new bike, nor do I want to buy cable actuated brakes. So I was thinking about some other brakes like the Louise or Marta. A pair of these cost about as much or even less than a single Hope.

T33zr seems to be running the Martas and says they're quite good but fragile. Rode a Louise on the front wheel and it seemed quite powerful but I'm more concerned about how it will be like on the rear. I could probably use a 180mm rotor as on my previous setup but I'd rather stick to 160 for weight and clearance reasons.

Asking about the Louise and Marta because they're quite commonly used on mods, any other ideas about brakes within their price range would be welcome.

i ran a pair of martas on my stock a while back, only had a 160 rear and it was actually powerful enough amazingly! very nice brakes, although as you said, i found it to be too delicate really, and sold them.

also- all the louises ive seen that are more than a few months old have CHRONIC lever wobble, which is in my opinion WAY beyond the acceptable!

id i had to choose one, i guess itd be the louise.....

the 160 should be fine, im a heavy git, and the rear 160 marta i ran seemed to be good enough!

The marta's got a bit more braking power and I don't think it's much weaker than the louise (in terms of strength).

to be honest though, the louise is more than powerful enough.

Edited by ted

I don't use rear disc, but honestly my louise FR is the best feeling brake i've ever had(other than my rear maggy!!). I've also been considering going dual disk with another louise as I have no doubt's they would hold (for me anyway) very well. I havn't had any problems with lever wobble, mine is still solid, with no unacceptable play at all.

Another vote for louise.

I guess its different where you are, but in the UK theres only like 10-20 quid in the price difference between the hopes and the maguras.

I use a hope and one of my mates uses a Louise, his feels lush, but i suppose it would as there both 160s and hes on a mod while I'm 24". Still his is very nice. But just the other day the seals in the pistons went covering everything in brake fluid, meaning he now needs to fix the break and get new pads, on-top of which the seals need ordering directly from germany so it's gunna take a while.

• 3 weeks later...