Headsets?

onza_kev

ok i'v taken the top piece out the forks and stem are off and i'v taken the bearings out. But how do you get the little cup pieces which hold the bearings out? Is it just a cas eof hitting with a mallet or is there an easier way?

thanks

Since you don't really seem to know what you are doing, I will advise you that there is a tool called a headset cup remover made especially for that purpose, the screwdriver/chisel and hammer method works great, I personally use it when I'm not in a shop, but you could damage your headtube or your headset...

A headset removal tool is the best idea but proper ones are expensive. You can make one much cheaper using an old seatpost that fits inside the headset (the type where you can remove the clamp bit are best). I was gonna explain how to do it but I can't so here's a picture speaking a thousand words:

10223.jpg

Squeeze the flared bit into one end of your headset and push the tool down 'till it rests on the other cup, then hit with a hammer. Nice and simple and because it spreads the load evenly it doesn't hurt the headset or frame.

While we are into headsets here.

Anyone got a good method for fitting headsets? :)

Fitting as in putting them in ?

I personally use a really long bolt, a hube washer and a nut and use it like you would with a real headset press...

removing - either use the tool or screwdriver and rubber/copper mallet.

installation, place the cup on a desk or workbench facing up. then place the bike over it, put the block of wood over the frame bottom cup and then hit it with a hammer!! :turned:

these methods work all the time perfectly!!

toby

Since you don't really seem to know what you are doing, I will advise you that there is a tool called a headset cup remover made especially for that purpose, the screwdriver/chisel and hammer method works great, I personally use it when I'm not in a shop, but you could damage your headtube or your headset...

if only i had a shop in my garage lol

if only i had a shop in my garage lol

Haha actually, it's because at my local shop, the owners let me wrench about on my bike with their tool, I tend to forget that most shops don't do that.

Another way is with a vice, a really big one mind you; sometimes the cups don't go in quite straight when using a mallet.

ok i'v taken the top piece out the forks and stem are off and i'v taken the bearings out. But how do you get the little cup pieces which hold the bearings out? Is it just a cas eof hitting with a mallet or is there an easier way?

thanks

While we are into headsets here.

Anyone got a good method for fitting headsets? :)

Try the 'How to fit/remove a headset' thread in the FAQ forum.