Diabeties

core

I also have diabeties,

i have had it since i was 10, I didn't realise till i was on the pier fishing with my dad when i dromaticaly got very ill and nearly passed out, next thing i know im at the doctors and they say i have no more than 10 mins to get to a hospital or i will be in a comer, so i spent 2 weeks in hospital,

To be honest im not dealing with mine very well atall (my sugar levels are usauly between 8 and 13 instead of around 4-6)

my sugar levels are always abit high but asoon as i go out on my bike they drop so quick and i end up having a hypo :(,

I find it hard to try and work out the right dose of insuline for the day in the morning as it all depends on how much excersice i do, and wether i go out on my bike.

I never go to my apoinments which is silly i know but we all deal with it in are own way, and i choose to try and ignore it.

Oh and do you find you get very angry and short tempered when your sugars are low, cause i do, i get hot, shakey and very bad tempered.

I dont let it get in the way of my hobby (trials), i just make sure i always have a couple of quid with me when i go out to get a mars bar or something if my sugars go low.

My opinion: DIABETIES SUCKS (N):angry::(:>_<

oops done it twice :$

Wicked, so it`s that many who got it in uk aswell, finland and swedens got the highest rating in the world if i remember it correctly.

I got it when i was 12, i dont really care that much, i consider myself lucky to be one of the few procentages in the world who even can afford a bike.

So what if i got diabetes, my life except the disease is wonderful, and that whats matters, you cant be happy enjoying the big things if you let the small things stop you.

Once you learn to deal with it it`s just a natural part of life, i dont remember how it is being without it.

Complications and side diseases caused from the disease sucks though, especially on the eyes.

Shit happens, hate it when my bloodsugar been wierd all night, feeling sick all next day and cant ride very well, or at all.

But hell, even if i`m not fit to ride everyday, i consider the days when i ride more valuable.

Wicked, so it`s that many who got it in uk aswell, finland and swedens got the highest rating in the world if i remember it correctly.

I got it when i was 12, i dont really care that much, i consider myself lucky to be one of the few procentages in the world who even can afford a bike.

So what if i got diabetes, my life except the disease is wonderful, and that whats matters, you cant be happy enjoying the big things if you let the small things stop you.

Once you learn to deal with it it`s just a natural part of life, i dont remember how it is being without it.

Complications and side diseases caused from the disease sucks though, especially on the eyes.

Shit happens, hate it when my bloodsugar been wierd all night, feeling sick all next day and cant ride very well, or at all.

But hell, even if i`m not fit to ride everyday, i consider the days when i ride more valuable.

Good attitude and so true (Y)

:: Touching :: I respect all you riders with diabetes i really do, i respect you more then the master him self Neil tunnicliffe (A) .

Dan

Have any of you heard about the operation that they was trying in america?

they take cells out of someones liver or pancrease (cant remeber now which one) in your family & then inject them in to someone thats diabetic and it makes the pancrease start working again.

also i have seen it on GMTV the doctor geza thats on there sometimes talking about an inhaler instead of injections.

Never know they may bring the operation here or bring out the inhaler (Y)

some days it dont realy bother me

but i do have down days, like everyone else i guese

But it can be anoying when i go on a ride, for example the london ride 2 weekends ago, i needed to do my jab @ 5pm but we wern't leaving till 6pm so i had to do my jab outside in front of everyone and i dont feel comfertable with that.

People were probly thinking i was a drug addict or something :lol:

Edited by powerz

I think that would be well cool because the police or some one could come up to you and have ago at you and you could have a fat off go at them and say that they are sic bastards with out that injection you could die :D I wonder what the police would do or say.

Dan

Still probably nick me or fine me, as they are so NOT understanding. :lol:

According to my doctor (The best diabetiesdoctor in all of sweden, written books n stuff) They can actually transplant, the bad part is that you need like 4 dead people with working pancreases to donate, so it`s a pretty long waiting list, maby in the future though.

I think they tried the inhaler here in sweden, you got a really swollen nose so it wasnt that big of a success.

Also they tried this airshot witch shot in the insulin in your body, so you can get of the needles.

I know what youre saying, feels pretty odd in public, but i think it`s a part of who i am and i dont really care what other people think, you should too.

Just come off being incerlin dependant and back to diet. Up this morning was a 4.4 which is bit low, now sitting at a nice 9.3. I just eat, drink, smoke, etc etc as normal but just making sure it's always over 8.0

That is a bit on the high side between 4 and 6 is right

Have any of you heard about the operation that they was trying in america?

they take cells out of someones liver or pancrease (cant remeber now which one) in your family & then inject them in to someone thats diabetic and it makes the pancrease start working again.

also i have seen it on GMTV the doctor geza thats on there sometimes talking about an inhaler instead of injections.

Never know they may bring the operation here or bring out the inhaler (Y)

some days it dont realy bother me

but i do have down days, like everyone else i guese

But it can be anoying when i go on a ride, for example the london ride 2 weekends ago, i needed to do my jab @ 5pm but we wern't leaving till 6pm so i had to do my jab outside in front of everyone and i dont feel comfertable with that.

People were probly thinking i was a drug addict or something :lol:

they take cells from pigs pancreases i think but even then we would still have to take injections for so many months after and tabs that stop the body rejecting the new cell and this needs to be tested for 10 years befor it can be released, as for the inhaler i never heard anythink more about it apart from what was on gmtv, there was also talk recently of a inplant that are under your skin but never got any more info on it

and as for going to my hospital for my opointments i havnt been for two years now just get on and do deal with it myself

oh and as for doing my injection in public i will do it but i tend not to as some people may get offended or freaked out by it

and "wright pads" not sure your real name sorry, i cant come off the insuline if i did then the food i eat the energy from it would not get distributed, insuline dosnt just lower your blood sugars it make the sugar go to your muscels so they can function properly ie when my levles are high i get cramp because its to much sugar in my muscels so they tense so the sugar is used

and "wright pads" not sure your real name sorry, i cant come off the insuline if i did then the food i eat the energy from it would not get distributed, insuline dosnt just lower your blood sugars it make the sugar go to your muscels so they can function properly ie when my levles are high i get cramp because its to much sugar in my muscels so they tense so the sugar is used

Never heard of anyone getting cramps from lack of insulin, you always get that when your levels is high? or just after long periods?

Anyone tried the workout-insulin? I have it now, it doesnt take affect after like 3-4 hours, perfect if youre riding just after dinner and want a smooth bloodlevel.

Anyone got tip on a good bloodlevel meter? i got one with 10 teststicks built in, and a needleshot (Whats it called) as well, its pretty good as you got everything built in and dont need to stick sticks in or something, great when youre riding.

I´m having a wierd period now, havent slept a whole night for like two weeks because of low bloodsugar, and when i`m up i eat too much sugar, so i`m feeling ill all next day, yuck.

Oh yeah, if you got diabetes and rides, feel free to add my msn Blommah@telia.com.

Edited by Blommah

Well I also have diabetes.

I have had it for 18 years now, and it's type 1.

I used to average around 8 to 9 as many of you have.

Well because of not taking care of myself as well as I could have, my vision is shot, I am legally blind. My left eye I am never going to ever see out of again and my right eye is not too far behind. I am getting another surgery in march so hopefully I will be able to see and walk on my own again, and get on my bike again.

OOh yeah I have had 20 eye surgeries in the past 3 years, with aleast one more to go.

My average is 5.9 now, I really screwed up taking care of myself and trust me you don't want to go what I am going through.

This is a link from 2 to 3 years ago that I posted over on OTN, read it and keep in mind this post was a long time ago, but yes I am still going through it.

http://www.observedtrials.net/vb/showthrea...ght=eye+surgery

If anyone has any questions I will answer them it is too much to type all at once.

Gilman.

Well I also have diabetes.

I have had it for 18 years now, and it's type 1.

I used to average around 8 to 9 as many of you have.

Well because of not taking care of myself as well as I could have, my vision is shot, I am legally blind. My left eye I am never going to ever see out of again and my right eye is not too far behind. I am getting another surgery in march so hopefully I will be able to see and walk on my own again, and get on my bike again.

OOh yeah I have had 20 eye surgeries in the past 3 years, with aleast one more to go.

My average is 5.9 now, I really screwed up taking care of myself and trust me you don't want to go what I am going through.

This is a link from 2 to 3 years ago that I posted over on OTN, read it and keep in mind this post was a long time ago, but yes I am still going through it.

http://www.observedtrials.net/vb/showthrea...ght=eye+surgery

If anyone has any questions I will answer them it is too much to type all at once.

Gilman.

That really got me thinking about taking care of myself, what was your average levels those years? im about 8 in average now, a bit high, but tends to be that way in the winter when i dont ride.

Got some vains in my left eye, but they will dissappear if i lower my levels, you really got me motivated to do that.

how old are you?

I wish you the best.

Victor.

My average was around 8.5 for years, now it is averaging 5.5, and no higher then 6.2 .

I am 27 and I was diagnose when I was 9 on christmas day, great gift...

Well I am glad to hear that my words are going to help someone.

Gilman.

its not lack of insuline as such its too much sugar enegy (high sugars) i get it alot (N)

as for bm machines i havnt used one in a fair old time naughty me i know

You have the same BAD habits as me :$ i dont check my levels that often at all maybe twice a month, i know what they roughly are, if im realy thirsty and need to keep going to the loo then they are high, if im shaky and feel like i can hardly stand up then they are low. If i feel like none of that then they are somewhere in the middle :lol:(Y)

Edited by powerz

My average was around 8.5 for years, now it is averaging 5.5, and no higher then 6.2 .

I am 27 and I was diagnose when I was 9 on christmas day, great gift...

Well I am glad to hear that my words are going to help someone.

Gilman.

Seems like you have yours well under control now, I wish i could get mine like that, my eye sight is already going poo,

my levels are always around 8-13 so on the high side, but if i increase my insuline in the morning it brings my sugars down lunchtime (when im usauly riding) and when i increase my insuline in the evening @ 5pm then i wake up having a hypo.

My diabetic doctor was crap in my opinion thats why i stoped going, she reckoned my levels need to be 3-4 when i check them and then do my jab, my insuline is 2 part fast acting and 8 slow so if they were 3-4 then do my jab they will shoot well low and have a hypo :angry:

She also reckoned it doesn't matter what time i do my jabs, well if i done the morning one at 12 and the evening one at 3 how would that be right.

Thats why i didn't bother going to my apointments.

My insuline is discontinued later this year (mixtard 20) so maybe i will be put on a better one more suited for me.

I have to have 2 injetions aday- 1 in the morning the other in the evening. How many do you guys have?

I'm thinking about having 3 aday so id have one mid-day , maybe it would help my levels?

I used to never test my blood either, my excuse was the same as many of you. I would say I know how I feel and I know when my numbers are where they are supposed to be.

That's not the case, when you are running on the higher side your body gets used to it and then you start feeling normal when your on the higher side. Then when your numbers are where they should be you start to feel like their on the low side, or when your numbers feel on the high side they are actually on the super high side.

That excuse didn't work for me so I know it won't work for you.

To you guys that don't go to your doctor because of this and that, you should really go or at least get a new doctor that you can trust.

I use an insulin pump so I never do shots anymore, though if I want a break from it, I can go back to injections whenever I want, and when I do that I take 1 shot of long lasting inthe morning, which will last 24 hours. Then when I eat I need to do one shot of a fast acting insulin, which depending on how much I eat will depend on how many shots I will need to do.

Gilman.

You have the same BAD habits as me :$ i dont check my levels that often at all maybe twice a month, i know what they roughly are, if im realy thirsty and need to keep going to the loo then they are high, if im shaky and feel like i can hardly stand up then they are low. If i feel like none of that then they are somewhere in the middle :lol:(Y)

thats what i am like i know well think i know what my levles are like so i dont test them

Seems like you have yours well under control now, I wish i could get mine like that, my eye sight is already going poo,

my levels are always around 8-13 so on the high side, but if i increase my insuline in the morning it brings my sugars down lunchtime (when im usauly riding) and when i increase my insuline in the evening @ 5pm then i wake up having a hypo.

My diabetic doctor was crap in my opinion thats why i stoped going, she reckoned my levels need to be 3-4 when i check them and then do my jab, my insuline is 2 part fast acting and 8 slow so if they were 3-4 then do my jab they will shoot well low and have a hypo :angry:

She also reckoned it doesn't matter what time i do my jabs, well if i done the morning one at 12 and the evening one at 3 how would that be right.

Thats why i didn't bother going to my apointments.

My insuline is discontinued later this year (mixtard 20) so maybe i will be put on a better one more suited for me.

I have to have 2 injetions aday- 1 in the morning the other in the evening. How many do you guys have?

I'm thinking about having 3 aday so id have one mid-day , maybe it would help my levels?

i have the one 24Hour jab then as and when i eat, i used to do two but my levles where rubish on that insuline and are better with the 5 a day routine

I haven't read all of this but I've had diabetes since age 5 (now 19).

I've ridden downhill, xc and 4x for around 5 years (although very on and off through long term injury) but anyway....

My control was pretty... well, non existant through my early teenage years, hormonal changes mean its a nightmare to keep on top of and you'l probably find you generally have better things to do than test your blood 4 times a day which won't help.

I had problems with cramp especially because of it.

One thing you can do is to take dhyroloite drinks, they won't help your diabetes but have no sugar or anything so won't cause problems but replace all the body salts and help towards fluids lost through sweat.

As much as it sucks (and I'l admit I still don't always do it myself) the only thing to do is check your sugar before going out.

If its high do insulin to bring it down to about 8, you don't want to bring it down to your normal target zone otherwise it will drop.

A hypo should be treated with summat equivilent to 1 carbohydrate portion (CP), this is 10 grammes of carbs. equivilent to 100ml of lucozade (the fizzy stuff not the isotonic ones), 4 jelly babies, 250ml of fruit juice/ sugary pop.

Over treating a hypo was another of my problems and I was very scepticl that any of those could treat a hypo, I still take a bit more but try and stay close to that- it stops any extreme jumps in sugar which is often worse than being a bit high or low.

Feel free to PM me if you want any more help, I'm a british cycing coach, fairly experienced with diabetes and done a course in diabetes management so should be able to help with any specific questions.

For treating a hypo i usualy have a mars bar :P if i have no dextro's on me, which is abit naughty but it works quick.

I must say this is one of the most helpful & interesting post's i have come across on here, It has realy helped me to read others opinions on the matter and how they cope with it, & chris_dh it's so true what you have said about it being hard to keep on top of it through the teen's what with hormone's ect, and im glad im not the only one who does find it hard from time to time.

It was actualy my new years revolution to get my diabeties under better control but so far it's non existent.

Another pretty shocking thing to bear in mind, a hypo stop (now gluco gel) is only around .6 of a unit, so you actually need 2 to treat a hypo properly.

How many times have you had a hypo and thought "maybe I shouldn't have taken a hypo stop for that"?

Certainly took me by suprise, if I only had 2 jelly babies I'd still feel low but would've had more carbs than if I'd taken a hypo stop and I'dve felt fine...

Shows how much physcology and your perception of being low comes into it...

Another thing to bear in mind for those of you on 24 hour insulin, glargine isn't meant to peak but does. If you find your control is bad and take Glargine ask to try Humilin I twice a day.

Many people (myself included) were just put on glargine when it came out as being this amazing insulin. To be blunt it isn't, most people need 2 injections a day on it really and if your doing 2 there are better insulins available anyway.

Edited by chris_dh

Another pretty shocking thing to bear in mind, a hypo stop (now gluco gel) is only around .6 of a unit, so you actually need 2 to treat a hypo properly.

How many times have you had a hypo and thought "maybe I shouldn't have taken a hypo stop for that"?

Certainly took me by suprise, if I only had 2 jelly babies I'd still feel low but would've had more carbs than if I'd taken a hypo stop and I'dve felt fine...

Shows how much physcology and your perception of being low comes into it...

Another thing to bear in mind for those of you on 24 hour insulin, glargine isn't meant to peak but does. If you find your control is bad and take Glargine ask to try Humilin I twice a day.

Many people (myself included) were just put on glargine when it came out as being this amazing insulin. To be blunt it isn't, most people need 2 injections a day on it really and if your doing 2 there are better insulins available anyway.

Do you have any advice for me: i,e differant insulins that you know of

I weigh about 9 1/2 stone and take humilin mixtard 20 insuline twice aday morning @ 9:30 and have 32 units and evening @ 5:00 and 32 units.( thats it i dont have to have more before i eat.)

My sugar levels are usualy around 8-13 which doctors say is on the high side, and over a monthly period they are 14 instead of 7 so they are double.

But if i increase my insuline dose in the morning then during the day @ some point my sugars will sudenly drop and same for the evening dose, then in the night i will wake up shaky & sweating ect.

I was thinking about changing to a differant insuline as it's discontinued later this year anyway but when i asked them 2 months ago the doctor didn't know what to put me on niether did the diabetic nurse and they still havn't sorted anything. :mellow:

Edited by powerz

To be honest in my experience its rare for anyone to be on any form of mixtard alone now.

I assume your eating has to be determined by your insulin still?

How long have you been diagnosed, maybe your still in the moneymoon period by the sounds of things? (you still produce some of your own insulin?)

Whatever you did you'd have to increase injections but you'd get better control.

Maybe levermir (SP?) morning and evening and novorapid with meals or something would be better.

Your obvioulsy on an insulin with a peak, if you can find a pattern in when your BM is high and when its low your nurse should be able to determin whats best insulin wise.

Obvioulsy without knowing a bit more detail about your reigiem I can't offer much advice and I'm certainly not qualified to be making desicions for you- although it sounds like neither are the people who are doing.

I'l have a look through some stuff for you at some point and get back to you.

I'd strongly reccomend trying to get on a DAFNE course, ask your doctor for info, if they don't know anything about it get them to find out- sounds like they need it aswell.