Diabeties

core

I must say this is one of the most helpful & interesting post's i have come across on here, It has realy helped me to read others opinions on the matter and how they cope with it, & chris_dh it's so true what you have said about it being hard to keep on top of it through the teen's what with hormone's ect, and im glad im not the only one who does find it hard from time to time.

that is why i posted the topic i wanted to find out others opinions and their ways of dealing with it and how controlled others of my own age are

To be honest in my experience its rare for anyone to be on any form of mixtard alone now.

I assume your eating has to be determined by your insulin still?

How long have you been diagnosed, maybe your still in the moneymoon period by the sounds of things? (you still produce some of your own insulin?)

Whatever you did you'd have to increase injections but you'd get better control.

Maybe levermir (SP?) morning and evening and novorapid with meals or something would be better.

Your obvioulsy on an insulin with a peak, if you can find a pattern in when your BM is high and when its low your nurse should be able to determin whats best insulin wise.

Obvioulsy without knowing a bit more detail about your reigiem I can't offer much advice and I'm certainly not qualified to be making desicions for you- although it sounds like neither are the people who are doing.

I'l have a look through some stuff for you at some point and get back to you.

I'd strongly reccomend trying to get on a DAFNE course, ask your doctor for info, if they don't know anything about it get them to find out- sounds like they need it aswell.

Thanks for your help, Iv'e had diabeties since i was 10 im now nearly 18, I just do 1 jab in the morning & one in the evening and thats it, but i still obviously can't eat sweets or food with higher sugar than 10g in per meal & im ment to have 6 meals aday.

1 breakfast

2 inbetween luch and break fast

3 lunch

4 inbetween lunch and dinner

5 dinner

6 before bed

I think i will go to my next apointment in march and see if they can change my insuline. As it seems i'm the only one on the mixtard 20, and it realy doesn't seem to be working for me.

Thanks agin for your help (Y)

Thats shocking, deffinately contact your consultants, give them a slap while your at it aswell.

I used to do that but back when insulin was in a bottle you had to mix and used fish sperm as the protien to make it slower release- sounds like you've never got far ahead of that which is really poor- I'm certain nobody at all will be better off on that regiem, certainly can't think of any obviouls examples other than needle phobia.

Thats shocking, deffinately contact your consultants, give them a slap while your at it aswell.

I used to do that but back when insulin was in a bottle you had to mix and used fish sperm as the protien to make it slower release

Lol, do you have full lenght needle's, as i have little needles like 5mm long same as this untitledbmj8.png

Anyone tried the sugarfree redbull?

Does it affect your bloodsugar? Got a lot of other ingredients besides sugar that i dont know very much of.

Besides the caffeine, do you get a kick out of it, or is it almost no difference?

Havent tried it myself, but got to be a downside at one point or another, it`s after all a sugar free energy drink.

I use 8mm but they're still microfine needles like yours.

Never seen sugar free Redu Bull, Il have to have a look, would imagine its a lot of caffine, creatine etc.?

I wonder if i should get some 8mm ones then maybe mine arn't long enough as i have been using this size since i was 10.

I have often wondered about trying the sugar free red bull as it's up my corner shop but the way my sugars are i didn't want to risk it.

What do you guys miss the most i,e chocolate jelly sweets, cakes, drinks ect.

I miss the jelly sweets and hot chocolate ( anyone know if there is sugar free hot chocolate?)

I don't often get the diabetic chocolate but i do buy the sugar free jelly bears and cola bottles they are my favourites. lol

also doesn't alcohol make your sugars low?

so my theory at christmas would be, eat christmas pud and afew sweets then have a couple of beers and id be fine, lol

Alcohol can be a bad one.

Generally the higher the content the less affect it will have so if your drinking shots etc. theres not usually much need to do anything.

With beer, lager etc I inject for every other pint as its a faily high sugar content but so slow acting you don't want to be injecting for each drink as the insulin will act loads faster and you'l go low.

Some people drop their background insulin but I've never found I needed to going out.

Again with your insulin regieme its going to be impossible to work- same for food, if you were on the right insulin you wouldn't be missing anything you could be eating what you like when you like and just doing insulin for it- I'm sure most people on here will be the same, they don't miss anything because they can adjust insulin to allow for it.