Plastic Cupped Bb

montyrider07

anybody else apart from me and my mates that hates trying to fit and take out plastic cupped bottom brackets, we got so annoyed with it that we ended up hitting it lots of times with a hammer and just using a spare normal bb my mate had in his shed lol, cheers dave. just wanting your opinions on them and if its just us that has trouble with them lol. cheers Josh

Clean bikes would of not fitted the BB if the bike was a full Monty unless it was a frame and BB order! If you mate has worked in sevral bike shops over the years he would have gotten it out due to have the strength form doing them but knowing how too. I know what i'm talking about a si have worked with bikes for over 14 years mate, i ran my own bikes shop a few times and never have been beaten by a stuck BB cup even plastic ones. Soemthing just aint adding up with it all here

Clean bikes would of not fitted the BB if the bike was a full Monty unless it was a frame and BB order! If you mate has worked in sevral bike shops over the years he would have gotten it out due to have the strength form doing them but knowing how too. I know what i'm talking about a si have worked with bikes for over 14 years mate, i ran my own bikes shop a few times and never have been beaten by a stuck BB cup even plastic ones. Soemthing just aint adding up with it all here

it is possible for the splines to get brittle over time and thus breaking when you try to use the tool to remove the cup, its nothing put of the ordinary, i've seen a few like it in customers bikes and have had to break the cup up to get it out.

generally, they are fine though :)

well cleanbikes serviced my bike and fitted a new one, so concidering you seem to think you know alot, i hate to tell you your wrong.

As a tip to people:

When taking them out. Put a long bolt that fits in the crank bolt whole in there with a couple of penny washers on it on the other side of the BB tool and screw it into the BB spindle, so it tightens the tool down into the BB. This way it cant slip and round off the splines. Although on the non-drive side you have to loosen the bolt every now and then to allow the tool to move out. But that shouldn't be a problem 'because you can take the bolt out once you've loosened it.